Chapter Twenty-Six: It Has Begun

A month had passed when the matriarchs of the Guisharam Region finally reached a unanimous decision: They would join the battle ahead

A month had passed when the matriarchs of the Guisharam Region finally reached a unanimous decision: They would join the battle ahead. It didn't take long for them to raise an army, as many were willing to fight; men and women alike.

While it took longer than what he had liked, Ordephus was thankful for it. For one, Argent learned much about his home, as many of the matriarchs were more than willing to teach him what they knew. They also taught him what it meant to be a dragonkind; to hold their head in pride, yet be humble enough to understand that none of them were perfect. It meant Argent was often out of sight and sometimes even on the other side of the compound, but as long as he stayed within the walls, he didn't worry too much. He still had the trace on the spellbook, after all.

Matriarch Hviak, the oldest and most respected matriarch in the Guisharam Region, had taken a liking to him, much to his surprise. When not in meetings and in those moments when Argent was whisked away from him, he found himself in the company of her. She would ask about the past, his achievements in magic, and most of all, his reasoning for turning on them. Under normal circumstances, he would've politely redirected the situation. He knew there was nothing to redeem him for becoming so blinded by power. But he found that he told her anyway, and she offered no judgment as he told his story. Only thoughtful nods and fair questions. He wished he had met her earlier, then perhaps they would have had more opportunities to speak.

The array was nearly complete, ready to be activated, as they all gathered to pass through the portal. It was the day they moved to the tower; where the chosen leaders could all talk at last.

"Take pride, my brothers and sisters, for we shall fight for those who cannot," Hviak said with a smile as gnarled hands that once grasped a sword held a staff. She wouldn't be joining them in battle, of course, but it was just as important to keep a form of authority in Nortempress. She would watch over those who stayed in Guisharam.

"Do not worry for us, Matriarch." Ein'roth bowed her head as she held onto Hviak's hand gently. "We will fight until we bring the rest of the dragonkind home."

Hviak chuckled, pulling her hand away to pat Ein'roth's shoulder. "I never doubted, Ein'roth." She turned and gave Ordephus a teasing look. "And may Ordephus save us all."

Ordephus smiled at that and inclined his head. "Your wish has been heard, and I will make sure to deliver."

"Ah, and one more thing before you go, Forefather." She hobbled forward to stand in front of him, her staff balancing on its own as she let go to reach up, laying her hands on his cheeks. "We are not the same, as you are human and we are fae, but the blood of dragons flow deep within our veins. That is enough for me to consider you one of us." She continued to smile gently as she looked into his eyes, and he couldn't make himself look away. "You still hold a single illusion. One formed by shame, as what you hide was a gift of acceptance by the man you called brother. He still had not retracted that gift. I cannot force you, but as a request, friend, will you release your illusion? Just so I can see you for who you truly are in case we never meet again."