Chapter Twelve: And the Reaper Reaped

Weststar was a slightly more bustling city than Langerich with a much higher concentration of wizards

Weststar was a slightly more bustling city than Langerich with a much higher concentration of wizards. It was easy to get lost in the winding streets, and it didn't help when Darin had never really stepped foot into Weststar in the first place. Not recently, anyway.

"Do either of you know your way around?" Darin asked the swordsmen, glancing back at them briefly.

"What makes you think we would?" Noctifer raised an eyebrow. To his annoyance, Darin quickly looked away. He had been doing that often, ever since it was revealed he was an interrogator for the Alliance.

"You seemed to know the back roads quite well," Darin said, looking to the side at a few shops, "so I assumed you've spent a large amount of time in Ormath. Were you originally stationed here?"

"Look at me if you're talking to me."

Darin's attention snapped back to him, and the wizard gave a sheepish smile. "Sorry. So you were originally stationed in Ormath? Are you from here?"

"I was."

A pause. "Is that your answer to one or both?"

"Both."

"Ah." Sensing the end of the conversation, Darin looked forward in favor of watching Argent amble ahead. "Should we ask a local, then? To direct us to where the mana potions are?"

Giving a sigh, the wizard once again avoiding eye contact, Noctifer decided to let it go this time. "Do as you wish."

"Indeed I will, then." He was about to call to Argent, telling the boy to return to him, but Iver laid a hand on his arm.

"I'll watch him," the elf assured, jogging ahead a few paces to keep up with the boy. It left Darin feeling uneasy, but he knew Argent wouldn't stray far once he realized he no longer followed. They had got to test the illusion spell's radius while preparing the array back in Rokor, and they had discovered that the radius was actually quite wide. But the further he was, the more mana is required to maintain it. He was lucky to have an affinity towards illusions, so it cost very little to begin with, but they couldn't risk Iver sensing it if they wandered too far from each other. At this distance, however, it was manageable. He couldn't keep Argent glued to his side forever, after all.

"Well?" Noctifer said, still standing next to Darin as the other watched Argent and Iver stop to look at something. "Don't you need your mana potions?"

"For once, you're right," he reluctantly agreed, and he moved to the side with his gaze set on a small cart. Before he could reach it, however, a commotion erupted from behind them.

"Halt! In the name of the Order of Ordephus!"

Darin spun on his heel with wide eyes, freezing as he saw soldiers with Ordephus' emblem embossed into their armor. They were heading straight towards them.