S E V E N

QUALIFYING

Friday had been and gone, and now Alfie was pacing back and forth in her room by the Alfa Romeo building

She was nervous for her first Qualifying session of the season, and couldn't wait to get back in the car.

To her disappointment, Antonio had taken her car for a spin in P1, so Alfie had less time than she would have liked racing in the car.

But today she would be racing against the clock, trying to push the pedal down to cross the line before anyone else does.

What she enjoyed.

There was a knock on her door, and a voice said, "Alf you decent?"

"Yeah."

The door opened and George walked in, dressed in his Williams overalls. "I promise I didn't spy on your team. May practically blindfolded me so I wouldn't see anything."

Alfie chuckled. "Don't worry about it."

She took her hair in her hands and began to braid it, until she was stopped by George. "Wait, let me do it."

Alfie turned around and raised and eyebrow at him. "You can do it? You can braid hair?"

George rolled his eyes. "I did it for like five years when we karted, I think I can do it now."

Alfie held her hands up in mock surrender. "Be my guest."

George walked behind her and began to braid her hair. George always used to do it when they karted together, because Alfie was so nervous her hands used to shake. He had made it his mission to learn to braid hair from Cara and his mother, and then did it for her before she got in the kart.

For a moment, Alfie thought she had gone back. Back to when she didn't know Antonio even existed. Back to when she didn't have press to deal with, or sexist comments of any kind.

Back to when her and George were juggling racing, and school. Somehow the pair had managed to last, even if they were both hanging on by a thread.

But the moment was short lived, when George finished tying the end of her hair into a hair tie.

"Thanks."

"No problem." he squeezed her shoulder. "Good luck Alf."

"You too."