15. Awkward Meeting

After all that sappy stuff, I got the signal from Arianna telling me that the first rider would be coming down, reminding me to press the start on the timer as they went over the first jump.

I watched as they each went, picking up on a few pointers I would tell them later. What did surprise me was Flame next to me. She was mumbling comments on how the rider could make it easier on the horse and little tips for the horse that I hadn't even thought of writing them off as their own little quirks. This could be really useful.

Finally after a very fun couple of hours everyone had had their first round of the course. After each I told them the improvements that Flame and I had seen to the riders. Correcting their position as they tryout what I said. Flame beside me was telling the horses what she noticed, as being one of the more experienced horses and having done this course a few times. You know like little cheat things on the easiest route or nicest landing. How to take the harder jumps and little improvements. The little things.

After the last one had gone it was Onyx and Ariana's turn. They decided to spice it up. They would do it as a pair. Cos why not.

They started off completely in sync. Every stride every landing. Side by side with Ariana on the right on autumn and onyx next to her on jet. They took every jump in their strides eating up the ground quickly. Soon they were flying over the last jump with smiles lighting up their faces. Even the horses looked happy with their performance. And that lady's and gents was why they are elites.

I am so proud of them. They have grown and flourished so much since the first training session I had with them. I remember when Ariana and Autumn were both terrified off the water jump but now they both like splashing through the water. Oh the days when they were all so innocent. My baby sisters.

We all regrouped by a gorgeous weeping willow in the next field along. We sat around exchanging stories and getting to know each other and just generally having a laugh and a break. Unfortunately the break, for me at least, had to be cut short.

Laughing from a story Leo just told us, of some of his riding fails - Come on we all have them - I gazed over the river which was sparkling next to us and noticed a presence coming closer. Weird.

"excuse me" a new voice sounded behind us. We all turned around and saw a boy of about 12 looking at us nervously. I smiled at him calming him down.
"Um I'm looking for harry potter"
"That would be me" I replied trying to remember what I hadn't done today.
"Oh uh" the boy looked a bit thrown by this bit of information. Not sure why tho I'm not that scary I don't think.
"Relax hun he won't bite" Onyx helpfully put in.
"Yea, he ate just before coming out here" Ariana added smirking at the boy.
"Your really not helping you know" I sighed used to this. They both looked at each other
"We were sopposed to be helping?" they asked faking innocence.
I just sighed. There really was no hope for those two.
"Ignore them" I said, gesturing in their direction. " To What do I owe the pleasure of your meeting?" I questioned. The poor boy looked really out of his depth.
"Um I was told to tell you that there is a new horse coming in and the vet need a helper there as apparently he isn't settling in nicely. Oh there also has to be a trainer present as the new rider goes through his paces to see who his instructor will be." He said gesturing wildly. I nodded slowly.
"Do they need me now?" I asked already knowing the answer.

"yes as soon as possible" came the reply. I nodded already having accepted that. Reluctantly I said my goodbyes, telling them if they really needed me I would be on my phone.

"Will you be free for our session at 5?" Onyx asked. I humed thinking.
"I'll try but no promises though. I should already be in the area if I am doing the grading. You know how long those sometimes take." She nodded excepting that is the most definite that she would get.

"Well lead the way-" I paused realizing I didn't know his name. God I am so rude.
"Roman" he filled in.
"Ah thank you. Well lead the way Roman." He nodded and mounted the bay that was standing behind him. He whirled them round and cantered off. I grinned. Challenge accepted.

Flame had managed to get out of her quick release knot which was news to me. should probably work on that. She cantered straight at me picking up speed as she got closer. I reached up my hand, grabbed the front of the saddle and swung myself up into the seat, easily falling into the familiar rythem of Flames canter. What can I say... Make way for the queen.

Arriving at the yard, after catching up with Rowen (I beat him obviously), I quickly put Flame away and untacked her, leaving it on a stand just outside the door. You never know what happens with these kind of meetings.

Let me explain what is about to happen. So whenever a new rider and horse come to our stables we first do a check up. The resident vet does a quick overview of the horse making sure it is healthy and all that jaz. I'm not normally needed and only really here about it from Noah's rants, but apparently this horse is causing trouble. Next we do a test kinda thing. This is when I come in. Us workers call it a grading as that is basically what it is. The instructor around at that time -normally picked from a hat - basically sees them canter and stuff and if that is going well will then put up a short jump. This is literally so that the instructors can get a better idea of the riders capability so they can put them with the right group. It's normally a bit of fun for both the riders and the horse though I have been told that is apparently quite stressful for some riders. Shame huh. .

I walk over to the vets stable block where all the injured horses stay that need constant supervision. Today the mysterious, out of controlled horse for the overview was in one of the free stalls. I looked at it as I went past and couldn't see what the problem was. Its ears were pricked and were staring at me intently. It was kind of off putting if I was being honest. I came to the conclusion that it was a Holisteiner horse perfect for jumping. Its flanks were strong meaning that it was definatly being used which was good, however I didnt get the feeling that it was being used to its full potential. 

"done staring at my horse" A voice sounded from behind me.

I whirled round shocked that I hadn't heard them approach. I blinked. Then shook my head and cleaned my glasses. Nah. I refuse. It couldnt be. Standing right there in all his handsome glory was Draco bloody Malfoy. All I could think was dang the girls were going to have a feild day from this.

"Potter? The hell are you doing here!" I opened my mouth to answere when a shout broke the air.

...

HEY I decided to update again. ik I'm as surprised as you are.