14. Cross Country

^^ cross country jumps

I got Flame out of her stable and quickly tacked her up, mounted and raced off to the cross country feilds

I got Flame out of her stable and quickly tacked her up, mounted and raced off to the cross country feilds. Hopefully when I get there they would of just finished their warm up on the easier jumps and I will get there just in time to see them take on the harder jumps before letting them go on the course. You know safety first and all that.

The feilds are literally what they say they are. A bunch of fields that we have built cross country jumps in. Some of them just have jumps dotted around but others have a obvious course running through them. A good variety lets say. We also have some jumps through trails on the woods for the hunt (more like tree trunks which have been made higher or fences as its such a hassle opening the gate) which me and my elite group do regularly as who doesn't like a bit of a rush through the woods!

I turned up at the field where they were and stood a while with Onyx and Arianna. We watched as they got used to the extra height and some of the different fences there. Eventually I stepped in as I had seen they were all avoiding one fence. The water jump.
This was basically a jump into and out of an ankle deep lake. Sometimes there is a jump in the middle as well but he one we are doing doesn't have that.
The one we are training on right now though has different entrances and exits all at different heights and filled-in-Ness.

"Harper" I called I was going to get them going over it one by one

"Harper" I called I was going to get them going over it one by one. The reason I'm doing this is because the jump itself needs a lot of trust between the horse and rider, hence why they are avoiding it. The horse is scared of it as they can't see the bottem so doesn't know how deep the water is causing them to just trust the rider.
"Now harper we are going to take this slowly."
"Ugh but I have done jumps like this loads of times"
"Did I bloody stutter" I stated looking at her. "Harper, we both know that star is a very spooky horse. It's why I got you to go first so the water is still reletivly clear. But from where I am standing I can see how tense he is and how he is eyeing the water. So yes we are going to do this very slowly. "
" Ugh why are you always right"
"Cos I am just amazing" I said smirking. "Now gently nudge him forwards"
"Don't we need the ramp that we normally use? "Harper questioned
" Na as as you said you have done it a few times and I know star trusts you."i said, "but also because it is already a gradual slope in as we are going to get you to go in the side not over the jump to start with. " I added with a smirk.
She rolled her eyes with a smile and nudged Star forward already used to my teasing. To be fair Star went in without making that much of a fuss which from my perspective really highlighted how well they had come on as a pair. I could see that he was thinking of going backwards but Harper just stayed calm and kept her leg on but didn't hassle him going at his speed into the water.
"Now do what you normally do when going into the water" I instructed
Harper nodded showing she had heard. She started walking round in circles getting Star used to the water sloshing against his feet all along praising him for not getting her wet. She then lead him out of the water and turned him around and went back into the water. She did this with the circles until Star was completly confident and not creating a fuss. He had an even stride coming in and out of the water which is what we want.
"OK now I want you to do it in trot"
She did repeating it until he was comfortable in both trot and canter. By the end she was smiling as that was probably the best we had both seen Star take water. Hes not a fan of getting his feet wet or muddy though who can really blame him. the reality is that you either you love it or you hate it no in between.
"OK now that he is happy with that we are going to start on a step."
We start on a normal small cross country jump in which he takes in his stride. They have never had a bad expirience with water jumps so it should be OK. Harper lined him up for it then gave star a nudge to get him going. It started off well with him going at a steady pace but then he backed out of it and turned around. Harper just managed to stay on.
"Turn around and try again." I called from where I was standing.
"No shit sherlock what else was I going to do" i rolled my eyes
"Keep your leg on. " I said ignoring her weary sigh.
Harper tried again but this time star rushed it and completly overestermated everything,launching himself into the air and coming down with a big splash which completly freaked him out. Honestly I think harper was as freaked out as he was as she clung onto him for dear life not expecting that reaction at all. But she recovered and lead him out of the water to try again. After they both caught their breath again and lost a bit of the wide eyes look on their face, of course.