CHAPTER 9

"DID YOU PURCHASE NEW sets of dresses today?" The duke asked

We were in the middle of enjoying our wonderful dinner in silence when the duke suddenly shot me a question. Luckily, I bought the dresses from her boutique.

I smiled at him after taking a sip of my grape juice. "I did, your grace, but I bought them from a different boutique. I placed the request to pick them up earlier. I'm just not sure if the head butler listened to it," I answered.

"It's quite a lucky day that you didn't bring another stranger as your servant," Caspian said in a sarcastic manner. The duke cleared his throat as he looked at his son.

And I only focused back on the food served for me, instead of looking at him. "I think I'm hearing some things, your grace. Should we file a request to the head priest to bless the estate?" I suggested while I cut the meat on my plate.

Caspian wanted to throw another rebuttal, but Eclipse shook his head to stop him. It suddenly made me wonder if they're going for a different approach this time.

Or maybe the god of peace bestowed a blessing on us that he allowed us to end the meal in a peaceful manner.

I excused myself as soon as the duke stood from his seat. Even if tonight's been peaceful, I still don't plan to stay alone in the same room with those jerks.

Other than the meal tonight, I noticed that the atmosphere from the servants seemed to change. They would usually scurry away whenever they see even the slightest of my shadows, but now they would stop what they were doing to greet me.

This is making me a little uneasy.

"I deeply apologize for my impertinent behavior. I admit that I doubted my lady's way of treating me, but right now, I assure you that there's nothing holding me back. I swear my utmost loyalty to only you, Lady Elisse."

I stopped brushing my hair halfway when Marina suddenly kneeled in front of me.

Is this the outcome of the few hours you took to sulk in your new quarters, Marina? And I thought it would only be her, but Scarlet did the same thing.

"I, too, offer my utmost loyalty to you, and only you, Lady Elisse. I promise to serve my lady with everything I have."

I wasn't sure what had gotten into them to suddenly act this way, but I guess I should be grateful to have at least two people to serve me.

I placed my hair brush down and turned to face them. "Then I shall reward both of you handsomely with the loyalty you swore upon me," I said.

Marina helped me change into my night dress while Scarlet brought the stuff we got from the shop to my room.

"Clear my wardrobe tomorrow and hang the new ones I bought once they arrive. You can rest for the day," I dismissed them.

"Yes, my lady," they answered in unison then left my room.