CHAPTER 22

THE AIR FELT TOO thick for Elisse

THE AIR FELT TOO thick for Elisse. She was panting and heaving breathlessly as she lay flat on the ground. The cold grass beneath her felt cool enough to slowly brush off the heat that covered her small body.

They were currently in the forest near the capital market. If it were not for Ebony and Pandora's abilities, she would not be able to pull off this risky plan. And because of her loyal servants, the chances of being successful were high.

Not until an uninvited guest dived into the fire.

"Elisse? Are you alright?" Elisse frowned as she heard Caspian's voice. She felt her brother's hand cupping her flushed cheeks.

Her eyes fluttered open, and she stared at him openly, trying to read through him. Caspian frowned at her, confused at his sister's peculiar behavior.

And then she spoke. "Why did you do that? You almost got burned alive."

Instead of answering her, the latter frowned and clicked his tongue in annoyance. He, too, was unaware why he cared if this little girl would burn and die.

Caspian only remembered feeling restless when he saw her room burning. His heart beating rapidly as worry took over him. And the next thing he knew was him throwing himself into the fire.

"Before that, who was that person burning in your room? And what exactly happened? How were you able to survive?" His questions flooded her like the draught.

All she could do was sigh. Her eyebrows knitted together and formed a line of truce on her bruised forehead. "Let's get going first. We need to get away from this place before anyone sees us."

Caspian seemed to understand what she meant, so he stood from the ground and knelt in front of her, his back facing Elisse's confused face.

"What are you doing?" It was clear what the latter was doing, yet she still asked to confirm his actions.

"Climb on my back. This will be faster," Caspian suggested.

Elisse was not injured, nor did she get herself caught in the fire, but truthfully, she felt exhausted. She heaved a soft sigh as she pushed herself up.

A soft whine escaped her lips as she felt all her muscles ache at each move she made. She did her best to carry herself closer to him then she climbed on his back, her face buried against her brother's back while her arms clung around his neck.

Marina, who had been standing still beside them since earlier, moved as well. She carried the packed bag that Elisse had prepared and led the way. There were a lot more questions that Caspian wanted to ask.

He wanted to know how she got her hands to a spirit and a mystical beast, the ones he saw earlier. He wanted to ask her how she was prepared as if she already knew about the fire. And other more things, but he held it in.

The night was still young, and the people living near the forest close to the marketplace were still asleep. They passed a couple of closed houses with no lights as they headed south.