nineteen

Nineteen: The Next Morning
✺✺✺

Nineteen: The Next Morning✺✺✺

✺✺✺

Instead of it being the sun that weekend morning, it was a loud slam of a cabinet in her kitchen that made Liv stir from her sleep. She lifted her head lazily, moving her legs through the tangled sheets and wondering what the hell that sound has been. This time, it was the opening of a drawer.

She blinked awake, suddenly throwing back her covers and quietly creeping over to the door. She pulled it open slightly, looking through the crack to a direct view of her kitchen. Only, she didn't see anyone moving about, only waking her up more in suspicion.

Liv pulled the door open slowly, sneaking out along the floors of her house in only a big t-shirt and a pair of underwear. When she rounded the corner, she let out a yelp in surprise.

"Mom! What the hell are you doing here?" She called out immediately, looking at her mother wide eyed.

"You really should be watering this Pothus plant more, you know. She looks so sad." Her mother said mindlessly as she watered a plant in the corner of Liv's kitchen with a water pitcher, not seeming startled at all by Liv's entrance.

"You can't just show up at my house whenever you want, what if I had somebody here?"

Her mother turned at the sound of that, looking at her in curiosity, before peering over her shoulder to catch a glance into her bedroom, disappointed at the emptiness of it.

"Honey, whenever you start dating, I'll stop showing up. Until then-"

"You're going to act like my boyfriend instead of my mom? Great."

Despite the annoyance in her voice, Liv wandered over to the coffee pot that her mother had already started, pouring a cup for herself. It was a Saturday, and unless a case popped up suddenly, it was one of her only chances of free time.

"Perhaps if you did have a man in bed, you wouldn't wake up so grumpy." Her mother sassed back. She was the direct source in which Liv got her sharp tongue from, having been raised by a woman who consistently spoke things a little too forward. After she said that, she gave Liv a wink and smile, as to make sure the comment settled as nothing more than lighthearted.  That was something about her mother that Liv appreciated greatly; she was cheeky, but still, she never pushed it too far. Even Liv's mother could understand the spiral she could go into with a comment like that, had she given it the time of day.

Liv smiled back at her, shaking her head. A moment of being annoyed with her mother never lasted longer than 30 seconds, and whether or not that was for healthy reasons, Liv wasn't sure. She had been addressing a lot more in therapy recently than her relationship with her family.

Her mother stared at her with squinted eyes as she sipped her coffee, waiting until Liv brought her mug away from her face before speaking.

"What's up with you? Did you moisturize this morning?"