seven

Seven: Coffee and Secret Conversations
✺✺✺

Seven: Coffee and Secret Conversations ✺✺✺

✺✺✺

"Oh my god, Liv, you look horrible!" Her mother said once she swung her front door open, taking in her injury and not trying to sugarcoat it at all, apparently.

"Oh gee mother, thank you. Do you know how hard it is to look glamorous while hunting down serial killers?" Liv said sarcastically, earning the wave of a hand from her mother as she walked past her through the door and brushed her off.

"Well doesn't this place need a good dusting... and a little splash of color."

"As much as your presence delights me, what are you doing here?" Liv asked her, watching her set down multiple bags in the kitchen.

"I brought you groceries." She was already swinging open cabinets and unpacking things, stocking Liv's shelves of product she wouldn't even be around enough to eat.

"I'm hoping on a jet every couples of days, I never need groceries." Liv said, to which her mother glared. "I mean, thank you?"

"You know, ever since you moved out when you were younger there are very little things I can do for you, especially with your, occupation-"

"Yes, my very well loved job."

"-So give me a little room here, dear, to mother you. Lord knows when I don't, you go and screw up your whole face and look like you haven't slept in days."

Liv pinched in between her eyes as she listened to her mother, but she couldn't help the small laugh that was bubbling in her chest. She was an insistent woman, for sure, but Liv had learned to expect nothing else from her a long time ago. Liv shook her head with a chuckle, surrendering and falling into one of the stools sat by the counter.  "You know, I told my teammates not to worry so much about it, I should tell you the same thing."

"Honey, we both know your nose isn't your best feature, but you aren't helping yourself here." Her mother swung open the refrigerator. At that, she received a much larger burst of laughter from Liv, to which she was too busy to fully appreciate. Liv appreciated it, though, because it had been a second since she had last truly laughed at much of anything.

"I know, I know." Liv said, standing up to put the coffee pot on. It was part of their routine, every time they were together. None of the secrets and things that truly needed to be mentioned came out until the coffee was hot. Her mother knew where everything in her house went already, thankfully being a large contributor to it's organization to begin with. It was reminiscent of the years that came after Liv's father died. To fill the hole, the both of them fell into a rhythm that kept them moving, or else they would fall hopeless together.

The coffee brewed and Liv opened the cabinets, pulling two mugs out, leaving alone the big blue one that had an illustration of Ben's hometown on it. The handle fit her hand perfectly, but she didn't dare use his favorite. It wasn't hers to enjoy.