Mac & Cheese

*Iris' P.O.V*

"I am not giving you chocolate in the middle of the night," Adira said, making me frown at her with a soft huff escaping me. "You can pick something more filling that is not full of sugar if you would like to pick something to eat or otherwise I will find you something to eat," she informed me, making me groan as I looked at her with a pout.

"Fine," I muttered as I looked around the large kitchen. "Can I have some macaroni and cheese?" I questioned her as I looked up at her.

"I suppose I could make you some macaroni and cheese, it does sound like quite a nice snack," she said with a small smile. "Now would you like to help me or would you just like to watch?" she questioned.

"You are going to make it?" I asked as I looked up at her with confusion.

"Yes, why would I not?" she implored me with a confused look.

"I just assumed that you would not be able to cook," I said as I bit my bottom lip. "I also thought that it would be beneath you," I stated.

"I can certainly cook and cooking is beneath no one. I often cook for Ember and I, sometimes Selene," she added in.

"What about Nova and Opal?" I questioned as I watched her start to look through the cabinets. She seemed to know the kitchen well since she was moving methodically from place to place.

"I do not cook for them, they are picky eaters and act like whiny children so they get to make their own food," Adira informed me with a small smile on her lips as she set the ingredients down on the counter. "Not to say I have not offered to cook for them, I have of course. They just have too many specifications for each thing I make," she said.

"And Selene is not picky?" I questioned as I leaned on the counter, watching as she put the noodles in a pot before filling the pot with water. She set it on the stove before looking at me.

"No, she is not really picky which is surprising. She often times acts more mature than either Nova and Opal which is funny to me seeing as they are both older than her and her caregivers," Adira said as she snapped her fingers, a flame appearing between them. She stuck her fingers under the pot while flicking a switch, the flame transferring between her fingers to the burner.

"Woah," I said as I stared at her with wide eyes. "So you do have magic?" I questioned her as I glanced at her hand.

"Indeed I do," she said with a small smile. She turned her attention back to the noodles as she watched the water for signs of boiling.

"Show me more," I said as I reached for her hand. She pulled her hand away and I frowned while staring up at her.

"I will show you more magic if I feel like it," she said with a frown on her lips. "That is the only way I will ever show you more magic," she informed me, making me nod as I looked down.

"So you may show me more magic one day?" I questioned her curiously as I looked up at her.

"I may," she said with a small smile as she watched the water boil up. Her hands glowed slightly as she reached right into the boiling water and pulled the noodles out of the water and laid them in a pan. She added a layer of cheese before adding more noodles and alternated them until the pan was filled. She was making the macaroni and cheese almost like one would lasagna but I couldn't complain, it looked like it would be delicious no matter how she made it.

"How come the water did not burn your hand?" I questioned her as she put the pan into the oven. She flicked her hand and a small ball of flame appeared under and above the pan before she closed the oven.

"Magic. I put a heat resistant spell on my hand," she informed me. "As you can see, all my spells had to do with heat," she pointed out, making me nod my head. "Any spell that I do will involve heat," she said.

"So is heat all you can do? Like each one of the Elders specializes in certain things when it comes to magic?" I questioned.

"Yes, that is exactly right," she said with a smile on her lips. "I will not tell you what the other Elders specialize in as they would probably prefer to demonstrate that to you as they get comfortable with you," she stated.

"Okay," I pouted slightly, now being extremely curious about what type of magic the other Elders specialized in. I imagined that Selene would be the next to show me although I wasn't quite sure if that was true. If not Selene then I suspected it would be Ember since they were the only two that I had really gotten to be with. Opal and Nova were still kind of strangers to me and although they were nice, I didn't think they would show me their magic and what it could do.

"The only good thing about having magic that deals with heat means I can cook things really fast," she said as she opened the oven and with her hand glowing again, the ball of flames disappeared and she grabbed the pan, setting it on the stove. She opened a cabinet, grabbing two plates. She cut out slices of the macaroni and cheese and served them on the two plates.

"Thank you," I said as I grabbed a plate, surprised when she grabbed my plate.

"Go sit at the counter, I'll bring your plate to you. I don't want you to end up dropping your plate or burning yourself since the macaroni and cheese is still very hot," she said, making me sigh and nod.

"Fine," I said as I went to the counter, sitting on the chair that was there. Adira set my plate in front of me, sitting down beside me.

"It's very hot, let it cool down some," she said as she dug her fork into the macaroni and cheese, releasing steam from it. I nodded as I rested my head against her arm, surprised when she wrapped her arm around me. She hummed softly with a small smile on her lips until she said the macaroni and cheese was cooled down enough to eat.

I took a bite and moaned at the taste of it. I took another bite quickly with a grin on my lips. "It's so good," I informed Adira with a smile on my lips, grinning up at her.

"I am glad you like it," she said as she took a bite, her eyes having a soft light in them. I continued to eat the macaroni and cheese, planning on falling into a cheese coma once I went back to my room.