Chapter Fourteen

Aurora's POV

The roads are completely empty on the journey back to the flat. I'm tempted to call my sister, but I don't know what I would say to her if I did.

My finger hovers over the call button on the steering wheel as I consider making the call, but I change my mind and put some music on instead.

I turn the volume up to try and distract myself. The only problem is I'm not easily distracted. I mute the music and press the call button.

It rings for quite a while, but she doesn't answer. Eventually, it goes to voicemail.

"Hiya! It's Ali; if you need to speak to me leave a message and I'll try and get back to you."

"Hi Ali." I really don't know what to say. "I just wanted to see how you are. I miss you. Anyway... I'll speak to you soon, yeah?"

I hang up just as I'm pulling into the underground parking garage. I pull into my spot and get out of the car.

When I get into the apartment, I head straight for the liqueur cabinet, pouring myself a vodka and cranberry. It's Lou's favourite drink, so there's always plenty in the flat.

I'm surprised by my behaviour. I am not my mother.

I take a sip and then put the glass down. I don't want it. I will not be like her.

I notice a note on the fridge door. It's from Lou.

Gone to bed. Cam has gone out with Zara. See you in the morning. Night xxx

I screw the note up and throw it in the bin. Just as I'm about to go to bed, my phone rings. I think it might be my sister but one look at the screen tells me it is Landon. I'm a moment too late answering the phone, but I call him back.

"Hi?"

Hearing his voice is more soothing than I want to admit.

"Hello. You called."

"I wanted to hear your voice."

It's so strange to hear him say what I feel.

"Where are you?" It sounds like he's driving.

"Driving home. I've just been to dinner with my father. It was awful."

The irony isn't lost on me. Neither one of us has had a pleasant evening, and as always you can blame the parents.

"My dinner wasn't great either." I sigh because I'm sure I shouldn't ask him my next question. "Do you want to come over?"

"I shouldn't."

"That's not what I asked."

"No, it isn't." He's laughing now, and I'm not sure if he is laughing at me. "I'm on my way. Do you live with anyone?"

"Lou and Cam," I tell him, "but Cameron is out with a girl and Tallulah is asleep."

"Okay." I tell him to park in the visitor bay in the underground car park. "I'll see you in a minute or two." He hangs up.

I take my shoes off and pad into my bedroom so that I can put them away, drink back in hand; this time to still my nerves as I move about, checking that everything is in place.

I hear a gentle knock at the door, so I make my way down the corridor until I reach the front door. Tallulah's bedroom is right next to the front door, so I put my finger to my mouth as I open the door.

Landon is standing there looking all handsome leaning up against the wall.

"Hi," I whisper, before moving aside so he can come in.