Chapter Sixteen

Landon's POV

An hour later, I'm sitting in my office. I've dialled my mother's number, and I'm just waiting for her to pick up. The phone is on speakerphone, and I'm typing an email as I wait.

"Hello Landon." I hear her voice as she answers my call. She sounds tired.

"How are you, Mum?" I ask as I finish off an email to Andrew Contius about the new accounts he is taking on in the interim.

"I'm very well, son. I understand you went out to dinner last night with your father."

"Yes."

"And he told you?"

She's worried; I can hear it in her voice.

"He didn't give me details just said he was dying."

"I wanted to know if you wanted to get lunch," I ask her. "I don't mind sending Henry to pick you up if you are in Surrey."

"No," she replies quickly. "I'm already in the city. Where should we meet?"

"How about Thorpe's? I know Jarrod will be delighted to see you."

I can hear her smiling. My mother has always been very maternal, and Jarrod didn't have the same upbringing I did. Mum was always impressed by his drive to succeed regardless of his limitations, and so she had been his first investor when he told our family that he wanted to go into the catering industry. She was like a mother to him; something he had never had.

***

Come midday, I'm sat in my favourite booth at Thorpe's waiting for my mother to arrive. She's a few minutes late, and so I take advantage of the moment to check my emails.

From: Catherine Jenkins (Catherine.Jenkins@TRWAdvertising.co.uk)

To: Landon Peters (Landon.Peters@TRWAdvertising.co.uk)

RE: MS Keenley's Replacement

Time: 12:04

Attachments: advertisement.doc

Sir,

Please find attached the advertisement we have designed to find a replacement for Ms Keenley. The ad will be put on the website, in the local paper and on relevant career search engines. Let me know of any adjustments you want made.

Pending applications, we would like to set an initial interview date for the 27th November.

Catherine Jenkins

Head of Human Resources

TRW Advertising

From: Landon Peters (Landon.Peters@TRWAdvertising.co.uk)

To: Catherine Jenkins (Catherine.Jenkins@TRWAdvertising.co.uk)

RE: re: Ms Keenley's Replacement

Time: 12:06

Ms Jenkins,

Everything seems acceptable. I am unavailable on the 27th. However, I am available on the 26th.

Landon Peters

Chief Executive Officer

TRW Advertising

I hesitate for a moment before typing out another email.

From: Landon Peters (Landon.Peters@TRWAdvertising.co.uk)

To: Aurora Stone (aurorastone@outlook.com)

RE: Last Night

Time: 12:09