Chapter 6

Klaus walked into Marcel's little setup. He didn't know what was worse the smell of sweat or the smell of alcohol. 

"Hey, man, where'd you run off to?" Marcel asks him. Klaus responds with a glare. 

"Someone put you in a mood. What can I do?" Marcel questions again, with a smile.

Klaus completely ignoring what Marcel is saying "What you can do is you can tell me what this thing is that you have with the witches."

"We're back to that." Says Marcle.

"Yeah, we're back to that," Klaus respond. 

"You know I owe you everything I got, but I'm afraid I have to draw the line on this one. This is my business. I control the witches in my town. Let's just leave it at that." Marcels says laughing it off. 

"Your town?" Klaus says with disgust. 

"Damn straight" Marcle answers in a cocky tone. 

"That's funny because when I left 100 years ago, you were just a pathetic little scrapper still trembling from the lashes of the whips of those who would keep you down, and now look at you" Klaus lifted his arm toward Marcel "master of your domain, prince of the city. I'd like to know how." 

The music stops. Everyone turns to see what's going on. The crowd of Marcel's man circle around them. 

"Why? Jealous? Hey, man, I get it. Three hundred years ago, you helped build a backwater penal colony into something. You started it, but then you left. Actually, you ran from it. I saw it through. Look around. Vampires rule this city now. I got rid of the werewolves. I even found a way to shut down the witches. The blood never stops flowing and the party never ends. You wanna pass on through? You wanna stay awhile? Great. What's mine is yours, but it is mine. My home, my family, my rules." Says with a smile. 

"And if someone breaks those rules?" Klaus asks. 

"They die. Mercy is for the weak. You taught me that, too. And I'm not the prince of the Quarter, friend. I'm the king! Show me some respect." Marcel takes a step toward Klaus. 

Klaus thinks for a second. Everyone in the room is waiting to see what he does next. He vamp-speeds and grabs one of Marcel's men. Klaus takes a bite into the man's neck. He dropped him on the ground and looked up at Marcel, blood dripping down his teeth. 

"Your friend will be dead by the weekend, which means I've broken one of your rules. And yet I cannot be killed. I am immortal. Who has the power now, friend?"

Klaus devilishly smiles at the crowd of people and looks at Marcel. Marcel looked at Klaus and said nothing. Klaus turned around and walked out. 

**************************************

"Have I not made it clear my desire to be left alone?" Klaus questioned. He didn't even bother to turn around. He knew his brother followed him. 

"Oh, you demand to be left alone at least once a decade. Your words have ceased to have an impact." Elijah responds. 

Klaus turns around and yells "Why must you keep harping on about the baby? The child is not mine."

Elijah vamp-speeds towards Klaus and grabs his neck in an attempt to chock him. 

 "You will not walk away from this!" Elijah threatens. 

"Let. Me. Go." Klaus grinds his teeth. 

"I WILL NOT!" Elijah yells throwing  Klaus against the floor, looking down at him. 

"Don't make me say it again," Klaus says trying to get up. 

"I will not let go. I will never let go."

Klaus grabs Elijah and hurls him against an iron rod fence. Elijah stands up fast and takes one of the iron rods. Then he walks towards Klaus, holding the rod in his hand.

"Even if I have to spend eternity saving you from your own stubborn, petulant, vile self..." 

Elijah vampire-speeds towards Klaus and hits him in the side of the head. Klaus stumbles back a few steps. 

"If I have to beat you as father used to beat you, to remind you of your own humanity-"Elijah says hitting Klaus again,  "– to care about anything..."

He tries to hit Klaus again, but this time Klaus is faster. Klaus grabs the iron rod and now he is the one hitting his brother. Klaus hurls Elijah a few meters back, where he falls on the ground and stays down. Klaus breathes heavily. He lets the iron rod fall to the ground and walks a few steps towards Elijah, who is still lying on the ground.

"You're beyond pathetic, Elijah."  Klaus spits. 

"Well, who is more pathetic? The one who sees hope to make his family whole or the coward who only sees the world through his own fear?" Elijah says still on the ground. 

"Why do you care so much?" Klaus questioned, throwing his arms to the side. 

"Because I failed you. Because the first time our father laid a hand on you, I should have struck him dead. I made a promise to you: always, forever, family above all." Elijah responds, out of breath.

Klaus starts chuckling. Then he reaches his hand to his brother. Elijah takes Klaus's hand and stands up.

"You are a sentimental fool," Klaus says to his brother. 

"Perhaps. But I've lasted this long in spite of it, haven't I?" Elijah says with a soft smile. 

Elijah walks away leaving his brother to think. 

Klaus knows things are changing and he can't stay in the shadows for long. All he wants to do is keep Stiles safe. He couldn't care less about the child that is not his. 

Klaus walks down the road and sits on a bench. The city is quiet and no one is around. Klaus crosses his hands and looks at the ground. Elijah walks up to Klaus and sits next to him. 

"This town was my home once, and in my absence, Marcel has gotten everything that I ever wanted. Power, loyalty, family. I made him in my image, and he has bettered me. I want what he has. I want it back. I wanna be king." Klaus says to Elijah. 

"So is that all this child means to you? A grab for power? You care about this child, Klaus. I saw it in your eyes." Elijah says to him. Klaus still hasn't made eye contact with Elijah. 

"I didn't sleep with Hayley" Klaus turned to Elijah "I wouldn't. I care about someone too much, Elijah."

1079 Words 

PLEASE VOTE