Chapter 15

During their time on the mountain, Hvitserk banished his darker thoughts, allowing himself to be fully present with Yvette

During their time on the mountain, Hvitserk banished his darker thoughts, allowing himself to be fully present with Yvette. He relished the moments they shared, free from the tension of their past conflicts and the distractions of other women vying for his attention. Hvitserk remained steadfastly by Yvette's side, ignoring the advances of those who sought his affection.

In a manner he had never before experienced, his feelings for her had transformed him. However, the shadows of doubt crept in, as he couldn't help but wonder if her love was genuine or merely a consequence of the child growing within her.

"Hvitserk, my dear, are you hungry?" inquired Yvette, though she suspected she already knew the answer. The insatiable appetite of Ragnar's son was no secret to her. Yet, she couldn't shake the feeling that something was amiss, as she delivered his plate and caught a glimpse of his vacant stare.

"Hvitserk?" she whispered, a hint of concern in her voice.

"Do you only love me because I carry your child?" he asked, his words heavy with doubt.

Yvette was taken aback by his question, and she met his gaze for several moments before sitting beside him and gently taking his hand in hers. "No," she assured him. "I fell in love with you because, despite our tumultuous beginning, we discovered more good moments than bad between us, my love. I remember when I first arrived here, consumed by anger towards my father. I took it out on you, and you did the same with your mother. But over time, we both saw something in each other that brought out the better in us. We've shared so many sweet moments."

She paused, her eyes filled with warmth as she continued, "I fell in love with the man behind the mask."

Hvitserk took in her words carefully and thought on them for moments. His only thought was how she could see past all the evil he has brought on her. Every single thing he done how could she fall in love with such a monster? Yvette's soul was something of pure and Hvitserk had so many demons lingering in his.

Yvette took a breath in as she watched his eyes empty again. "Remember the night after you saved me from being killed by my own people?"

Hvitserk looks up at her a slight nod in her direction.

"I realized in that moment I saw a different man a man that I wanted to love."