Chapter 1

Growing up Yvette Cabello had this fantasy about love, about the one

Growing up Yvette Cabello had this fantasy about love, about the one. She had imagined more times than she could count of how she would fall in love and in all her dreams her one and only man was a Christen. In her mind she had the perfect wedding picked out, with her white floral gown with roses in her hair, to the look upon her future husbands face. Yvette had it planned out. But her dreams came crashing down the moment her father spoke on that stormy night many days ago. That was the moment Yvette Cabello's world turned upside down. 

"How is your food, my child?" Yvette's father, King Marcellus, asked his beloved daughter. She smiled with a simple nod, the look of joy written on her face made his insides bubbly. He cared for his daughter and all Marcellus ever wanted for her was true happiness. So the news he was about to burden her with was going to crush her pure soul.

"It's well, father." Yvette smiled to her father but her caught sight of a war behind his. She narrowed hers and sat up straight. "Are you alright father?"

"I only have a day to speak to you about this my daughter." He heaved a forceful sigh and Yvette felt her stomach twist. "The heathens are coming and . . " He paused. his whole froze before him as he stared at his sweet little girl. Marcellus didn't want to crush her soul, he didn't want to put her through any of this but it was the only way to protect his kingdom. He knew after the last attack on England - set fourth by Ragnar - that it was only a matter of time before they came back to claim what King Elbert had stolen.

King Marcellus knew he needed to protect - not only himself and his daughter - but his people as well, and the only way for him to keep them safe is to offer them something out of good favor. He hated that it had to be his daughter.

"And what, father?" Yvette spoke, gathering her father's pained expression once more. Panic had set inside Yvette's brain. She was racking every horrible out come of the reasoning for the heathens to be coming to France. Had they declared war? Did they seek her father's kingdom?

"I gave you away for marriage."

"WHAT!" Yvette nearly jumped out of her skin at the words her father spoke. She couldn't believe what she was hearing, clearly this is a mistake; she wasn't hearing him correctly and this was all a joke. If this even came near to a joke it was a horrible one, there would be no way in hell Yvette would willingly give herself to a heathen.

"I must do wh-" Yvette cut her father off the moment she realized this was no joke and he indeed did intend for her to be married to one of them.

"No!" She shouted. Standing her feet, she pushed away from the table causing her goblet of wine to spill its contents over dark wooden table and drip down the side hitting the soft fabric of her pale pink dress. "I will not, I will more certainly not!"

"You have no say daughter." Marcellus sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. He had expected exactly this when he would be giving her this news. Frankly he honestly thought she would throw a bigger fit and maybe throw her food at him.