Chapter 16

Hvitserk found himself caught in a whirlwind of emotions as he paced the room, his jaw tense from the internal debate raging within. A foreign sensation stirred in his heart, causing it to race with a mixture of fear and excitement. The word "father" echoed in his mind, leaving him utterly terrified, yet undeniably ready.

As he heard Yvette's screams of pain and the frantic movements of the handmaidens, worry and helplessness consumed him. He yearned to protect her, to be her knight in shining armor, but in the throes of childbirth, he felt utterly powerless.

Pausing to catch his breath, Hvitserk reflected on the journey that had brought him to this moment. He recalled the trials and tribulations of his own childhood and the lessons he had learned from his father, Ragnar. Though he was scared of the responsibility that lay ahead, he was also eager to share his own wisdom and love with his child.

Evenly came around the corner and her hands were stained with blood, Hvitserk feared the worst but her brown eyes only bright with happiness. He still wasn't sure of the girl who fell from the sky — as Ivar claims but he was thankful that she was caring for Yvette.

"How is she?" Hvitserk inquired, his gaze fixed on Evenly. She turned to him, blood still dripping from her fingertips as she held the towel to dry them. She looked exhausted, as if the weight of the world rested upon her shoulders.

"She's fine," Evenly replied, taking a deep breath and brushing her dark hair behind her ears. "All three of them are fine."

Hvitserk's eyes widened in disbelief. "Three?" he whispered, his voice barely audible.

"Congratulations," Evenly beamed, a glimmer of pride in her eyes. "You're the father of twin girls."

The air in the room was thick with anticipation, the scent of new life mingling with the faint tang of blood. The flickering candlelight cast dancing shadows on the walls, and the silence was broken only by the soft footsteps as Evenly lead a very excited Hvitserk to his family. Evenly's heart swelled with a sense of awe and wonder as she gazed upon the miracle she had helped bring into the world. It was in moments like these that she truly understood the power of love and the strength of the human spirit.