Chapter 3

Three days had passed since that morning in the great where Aslaug had announced the fate of her son and his soon to be wife

Three days had passed since that morning in the great where Aslaug had announced the fate of her son and his soon to be wife. Yvette's life has changed dramatically since then.
Three days was all it took for everyone in Kattegat to know if the news and become even more savage - if that where possible - they begin to stare at where she would walk down into the market, they would mock her god, and on very bad days Yvette at times fear while hearty for her life.

Yvette was a smart girl though and she knew exactly what was going throughout those minds of everyone within Kattegat. A Christian and a Heathen. What a disgrace to their gods. What a disgrace to her god. But in Yvette's mind, god was the last thing she thought about as she sat in her bed, knees up to her chest and tears running down her face like a waterfall.

Sharing me, they want to share me amongst themselves.

Her mind rambled that thought and she knew exactly what that meant. It meant she would become their whore, their plaything, their slave. She would become a victim of a mans lust for dominance. Yvette's virtue, along with her life would now rest in the palm of Hvitserk son of Ragnar, and there was nothing she could do about it.

Yvette envied the other woman around Kattegat, because they where free. Free to do as they pleased; unlike herself, she had no freedom, no life, no say. All that was before her was a cruel fate that she damned to hell.
"M'lady?" Yvette's hand maiden spoke carefully from the doorway. Her movement wary of the upset girl before her, out of all the years she had been serving Yvette she not once saw her crying like such. Tears and tears just fell from her eyes and loud sobs from her lips. "Can I get you anything?"

"Out of this marriage." Yvette spoke nonchalantly. "I don't want this Seira, I don't want to be married to that Heathen. I don't want to lose my virtue to him, I already feel dirty here I can't have my skin stained with his touch."

"Yvette, breath." Seira spoke with a gentle tone. She sat beside Yvette and opened her arms to her to which the young princess crawled into. "I know this is the last thing you want, I know you can't stand the thought of being his; but we can't turn back and maybe you should at least try to like him, you don't have to love him. Remember you are doing this for your people, your father."

Yvette knew Seira's words where true. She knew she should at least push towards a decent relationship between herself and Hvitserk. She should give him the benefit of the doubt, and maybe she might even find that he isn't so bad. But the fear and loath she felt towards these heathen in general was still there and she couldn't break down that hall; no matter how hard she tried.

Seira didn't speak another word to her grace, she just calmly held her against her chest and let the girl cry her heart out till she fell asleep. She wished so desperately she could take her away from this mess, Yvette had always been such a kind soul to her and to see her so broken, broke the handmaiden herself.

Hvitserk eyes looked around the village square and into the great hall. He was in deep thought about the woman he was soon to be married to he didn't really care what he was looking at. Hvitserk had this image of the woman he would marry, and in every thought she was a shield maiden, not this fragile Christian girl.

"What troubles you, brother?" Ubbe patted Hvitserk on the back as he cane around from behind his little brother. Ubbe has notice Hvitserks staring off and knew something was off, his brother never lets a fine woman pass his presence without him trying to suduce her.

"Yvette . . She's -"

"Beautiful, or is our opinion on that different?"
Hvitserk inhaled sharply, not exactly knowing what to say. Yvette was beautiful, her porcelain skin so untouched by the fire rays of the sun had Hvitserk mezmerized. He was Indeed attracted to her but the different faiths they believed in had him thrown off. How could he ever love a woman whom didn't believe the same as he did? He couldn't, there was no way. His faith was everything to him and he would believe in it till his dying breath; but Yvette her faith slightly - extremely - different and this god of hers sounded like a pathetic excuse of a man.

"She is beautiful, but I can't love her."

"It isn't about love little brother, you don't have to love her you can love another. Once everything is settled with you and Borjn and Rollo agrees to let you sell across with no harm you can rid yourself of her and we can raid her fathers kingdom."

Hvitserk didn't reply to Ubbe, he only let his words fall into place. Ubbe had mention these words other times before, he had mention Yvette's beauty and it seemed now that he was only trying to keep Hvitserk as far away from her as possible but Hvitserk was not denying that opportunity. Hvitserk nodded his head slightly before pushing his self from the stool and he started toward the cabin a beautiful blonde maiden had went inside of; if he was being honest he really needed a release and that slightly heavy set blonde was going to be it.