Chapter 41 - Stars

ERIN

Tonight is one of those nights that doesn't matter how much powder I apply to my face, I still look sweaty and messy. It isn't unusual with the lights and all the jumping I do on stage, but usually I manage to make myself presentable enough between each set. Knowing this is a fight I won't win tonight, I apply lipstick, give myself one last look in the mirror and head out.

It only feels like a week ago since we went on vacation and now we've reached the end of February. Matt and I will get married in four months and tomorrow I'll get my first dress fitting. I've asked Imogen to be my maid of honor. She's become a dear friend to me since the moment she started working at the club and I'm so grateful for how much she loves and cares for my little brother. I've also asked Claire to be a bridesmaid, and her only request was not to make her wear pink which she believes clashes horribly with her red hair. Matt surprised me when he announced that he asked Sam to be his best man. I thought he would pick one of his friends, but he said none were worth the honor and he's happy to keep it in the family. 

Yesterday, we said goodbye temporarily to Imogen as she went on maternity leave. She had been complaining of backaches and swollen feet, plus the space behind the bar was getting too small for her to work comfortably. Being the hard worker she is, it took some convincing that it was time for her well-deserved rest before the baby arrives, and she only settled when we agreed that she can come to the club when she feels bored at home.

Noah comes through the kitchen door, looks at something in his phone and starts laughing. 

"What do you have there?" I ask.

"I haven't been home today at all. Jordan just picked the mail. Yeah, at this time of the evening it's when he remembered. We got the letter from our adoption attorney with the approval."

"Are you serious? Congratulations! Does it mean he's officially your son?"

"Not yet. We still need to go to court to finalize the process, but the most difficult part is over."

"Damn, Noah! I'm so happy for you!" I grab him in a hard hug that he returns.

"This is great! Really. Can't wait to let Gianna know, but I guess that will have to wait. We need to get on stage."

I find the second set of our shows to be the most difficult since all the songs are originals. What started with a random song from my notebook, has turned into a steady collaboration with Noah. It's satisfying to hear the clubbers sing along, but I feel so vulnerable in those moments, always fearing they won't like what I wrote. As I walk towards the bar to hand Rory my makeup bag, I bump into a guy and spill his drink, luckily on the floor and not on his clothes.

"I'm so sorry. Let me me fix it. Ro! I spilled his drink, can you make him another?" I say to Rory while handing him my cosmetics bag. He puts it away and starts preparing whatever the guy was having after a quick sniff of the tumbler. "On the house. Again, I'm sorry."

The guy says nothing and only gives me a small smile while watching me intensely with big gray eyes. I take him in as I wait for his drink and wonder who he could be because he looks like a rock star. He stands close to me in the crowded bar and I can make out the scent of his cologne mixed with alcohol.

"Here you go, Erin," Rory hands me a tumbler and points at another clubber to take an order.

"Enjoy," I hand the guy his drink and head to the stage.

Noah takes his place on a stool and we start the set with "At Least I Tried ". Our regulars know it now by heart and sing it at the top of their lungs. I guess the message of the song mixed with a good dose of beer makes you feel it deeper. We then work on the energy of the club with faster numbers and it fills me with joy when people clap along, dance, try to sing or simply smile at us. I'm so grateful for our band and all the efforts they've gone through in the past months to make these songs sound amazing and professional.