Chapter 31 - Back

SAM

Doing inventory in the pantry is one of my least favorite activities, but so necessary to keep the order and hygiene in my kitchen. Since I've been covering for Adam on some days, I've been neglecting my responsibilities. After inspecting the expiration date on the shelf of seasonings, I feel glad that my tedious task is done. Almost in synchrony, my phone buzzes in my pocket and the message from Adam makes me smile and feel relieved.

"Lovey-dovey message from Marisol?" Claire asks while carrying a tray of marinated chicken from the fridge.

"No, from Adam. You probably got it as well. Rory can go home."

"Great news! Adam has been freaking out with everything that happened."

"He certainly seemed concerned in the last days, but was so busy that we couldn't catch up."

"What happened to Rory put things into perspective for him. Once he understood the seriousness of what happened to his brother, he realized that people must come first. The club will continue with or without him."

"Agree. I'm glad he's taking time to get better," I say and we walk towards our workstations.

"Sam?" She holds my arm before we split our separate ways. "Erin told me that Adam had was hospitalized nine years ago and it was serious. What happened?"

I motion for her to follow me to the empty basement. "He ended in a comma after getting respiratory failure. The first days were terrible. His condition was so bad that it felt like a miracle when he survived each day. He woke up, but was far from being well and had to follow a tough recovery program. His body was so weak and he had trouble talking. Took months before he went back to his old self."

"Did he ever get psychological treatment after that situation?"

"Not that I know of. Why?"

"Since he got released from the hospital we've had small issues. More like irritations about things regarding his health. He also has nightmares. I ask him about them or if I can do anything to help him. He always replies that I wouldn't understand and changes the topic. He wants no one to pity him or think he's weak, but not wanting to share what is going through his head with me makes me feel out of place. My dad takes the exact medication Adam got for his blood pressure and he's double Adam's age. I mentioned it and he got quite nasty with me."

Typical Adam. "I'm really sorry, Claire. I've known him for 25 years and he can be complicated like that. Erin moved in with me due to similar issues, just not about his health."

"I dare to say that I love him, Sam. But you can imagine that this isn't exactly how I pictured my relationship with him. Trust and open communication is so important, and we have little of that. I maybe jumped into a relationship with him when he wasn't ready," she looks quite disappointed.

"Don't think that, you are not wrong here. Claire, you are the best thing to have happened to Adam in a long time. Give him time to internalize that you only want the best for him."

Claire nods and we head upstairs again to prepare for the lunch shift. Our sous chefs are busy cutting ingredients and making sauces, and I make sure my cooking area is ready. Robbie enters the kitchen and his face shows an emotion that I can't figure out.

"Are you okay?" I ask. He seems to want to tell me something, but doesn't know where to begin.

"Sam, I have two walk-ins this early. They haven't even ordered yet and are asking to talk with you. They don't look like food critics to me."

"Press, maybe?"

"Don't think so. If they were, they need to show me a press pass."

"Peculiar indeed. Let's see what they want," I take my apron off and head upstairs.