Chapter 14 - Tea

ADAM

It's not that I don't trust Sam's decisions, but I certainly would have liked to interview Claire before offering her the job. Her call surprised me as it happened right when I was reviewing the candidate resumes I received from the temp agency. Our phone conversation was very pleasant and her personality left me intrigued. She isn't rude but had an appealing edge that I believe is necessary to deal with the demands of a busy kitchen like ours. Her qualifications were more than enough to seal the deal, and I invited her to come in early so that we can get properly acquainted.

The knock on the front door of the club distracts me from the staff planning and through the glass, I see young red headed girl standing outside. She's probably looking for the youth center that shares our address, but that is located in the south part of the road.

"Hi! How can I help you?" I say after opening the door.

"I'm looking for Adam Sommer."

"I'm Adam. Oh, is your mom looking for a parking spot? We have a big parking lot behind the building."

"That is handy to know. I'm Claire Hayes, your new chef."

Looking at her up close, I realize she's older than I perceived her to be at first. She gives me an odd look and my brain catches up with what I'm supposed to do.

"My apologies. Please come in," I move away from the door and curse myself for being so unprofessional.

Claire walks inside and smiles as she looks around. During day time, the club has a modern and refined look, that's still welcoming. Soon it will be time to decorate for Halloween and the club will be turned into a place fit for all supernatural beings to party.

"I have heard good things about this place, but it is more beautiful than I imagined."

"Thanks. We love this club and have tried our best."

"It really shows. Since my mother isn't looking for a parking spot, does it mean that I can park in the back?"

Claire tries to hide a smile and I feel the heat creeping up my neck. "I'm really sorry for my assumptions. Yes, all employees can park on the back lot."

"I'm teasing you. My looks throw people off and I get remarks like that often. No worries. You asked me for some documents and I have them here for you," she hands me an envelope.

"Thank you. Shall we look through them?"

Claire and I review the documents and it surprises me to find copies of newspaper articles about cooking competitions she has won. I believe that not only she will be a great fit with the kitchen staff, but that we have won the lottery by hiring her.

"Welcome to Moonlight House, Claire. I would like next to show you around and tell you a bit more about us. We are five equal partners in business of which Sam and I are two of them. Our opening times are from noon to one in the morning, but the kitchen starts serving meals at eleven in the morning and closes at nine in the evening. Sam is usually here a lot earlier to do some back-office work. During restaurant hours, we accept reservations and walk-ins, and people seem content to wait for a table with a drink at the bar if we are full. The galleries upstairs sit around 80 diners, but we have also used the lounges in the past to accommodate private parties. The bathrooms are to the right of the entrance, and here we have the podium where our house band plays three sets of popular party rock songs every evening. The kitchen is behind the bar, but that's Sam's territory so I better leave that to him."

"Are you out of breath?" Claire asks me when my last words are accompanied by a little whistle coming from my lungs.

"Just a bit of asthma. I should be okay after taking my medicine."