Chapter 26 - Five

ADAM

As I decide what to eat for dinner, I can't help but mull over everything that has happened in the last weeks. Feeling ill is surreal at times. I heard from Erin that I got a heart attack, the doctor came in to explain how bad my situation was, and in my head, I couldn't comprehend the magnitude of it. It wasn't until I was alone with Claire that she helped to understand how I almost didn't make it. Seeing someone so tough as Claire looking so worried, made me realize that I was in serious trouble and still am. Every day all I wished for was to go home, go back to the club and life as I knew it, and every day the doctor would say: let's see how you are doing tomorrow.

A thing that kept me going was Claire's affection. That first kiss from Claire at the hospital left me slightly confused about our feelings, but now that they've become a regular thing I long for something more. I can't deny that my interest for her began since she made me a cup of tea. Her character is so much like my mother's; honest, determined, fierce. Each day that went by I admired her more and more. She wasn't only helping Sam, she was taking charge of the kitchen staff and earning their respect in no time. Sam can now work normal hours and has even been able to help in my absence thanks to her work. Now that Claire and I have spent time together, I've come to appreciate her humor and her conversations. Every morning, I look forward to her visits and how she makes sure I'm well and taken care of before she goes to the club. 

I haven't lacked visitors. The guys come to see me as often as they can and having them around gives me some normality back. I enjoy listening to their upcoming plans, whether it is my brother talking about cribs and changing tables, or Noah about starting a savings plan in case Jordan wants to go to college. I hope to one day add my own stories to theirs and certainly hope they include Claire in them. I still feel embarrassed about teasing Sam, but it ended up being a helpful conversation because finally I could be honest about not appreciating the jokes about my weight, or my health. Without a doubt, he told my brother and Noah, because they have both apologized.

And now, thanks to Matt, I've been enjoying having my parents around in the past days. It's the best gift we have received in a long time. I miss them as much as Erin even when I'm not as vocal as her about it. He's given them a place to lodge so that none of us feels pressured about entertaining them when life has us busy with other priorities. 

Just when I place a frozen meal on the counter, I hear a knock on the door. Who could be here so late?

"Who is it?"

"It's me, Claire."

I open the door and Claire's gaze goes down. I then realize I'm only wearing a towel wrapped around my waist.

"Hey, I wasn't expecting you," I greet her with a light kiss on her lips. "I assumed you would be in bed already."

"A bird told me you are working when no one's around. I wanted to check that you are resting and not plotting schemes and ideas for the club. Are you planning to eat that?" She moves past me and reads the label on the meal. "Did you buy this yourself?"

"I did. I went out and bought some groceries. Staying inside all the time was driving me crazy. I went walking like the doctor said I should."

"I'll make you something better than this," she places the meal back in the freezer. "Promise me you'll eat that only in emergencies."

I know that my lack of proper cooking skills has also contributed to my weight gain and I don't really buy my food based on quality, but more on quantity. Claire gets busy and I roll my eyes when she gets a box of instant brown rice that Sam probably bought.

"Don't look at me like that, I'll make you a low calorie stir-fry."

Considering the soggy pasta I was about to eat, her choice sounds more appealing. I take place at the dining table while she starts cutting ingredients.