Chapter 17 - Compensation

MATT

When my job requires me to travel and do work on location, the only thing that keeps me going through with it is the good pay. This time, what kept me going through were the short calls and encouraging messages from Erin. One week away from her seemed to take forever. She has invited me for dinner at the club and to enjoy a night out while she works. I hope it also gives me the opportunity to get to know Rory and Adam better and to show them that I'm in no rush to get physical with Erin.

After parking my car in the back lot, I walk towards the entrance and take my time to enjoy the stroll. I've been working non-stop, and being outside while doing nothing on a chilly night like this feels like a gift. As I approach the guy at the podium, he gives me a silly grin and motions for me to follow him.

"Erin said you were coming tonight. She's a bit busy and told me to keep an eye out for you. She just didn't say you were so hot."

The flirting makes me laugh. "And how are you so sure that I'm the person Erin expects?"

"She shared this with me," he shows me a copy of a photo a man to took of us with Erin's camera at the frozen yogurt place. We look so comfortable and happy with each other, even when we had known each other for just a few days. We walk through the kitchen doors and down to the basement. I hear voices as we approach.

"Erin, here's your honey," the guy gives me a wink before he leaves.

I find Erin sitting on the couch with a teenage boy while surrounded by books and notebooks.

"Is Robbie gone?" She asks and I nod. "Did he hit on you?" She laughs and the boy looks at her with a curious face. "He hits on anything with a pulse. We are almost done here and then I'll be all yours." Erin picks up a notebook and a pencil and moves down the lines. "They are all correct. Well done, Jordan. You will ace this test."

The boy gives her an awkward smile and then stuffs his things in a backpack. I didn't know Erin tutors kids.

"So, how did he do?" The guy called Noah asks as he comes downstairs.

"He did great. All the answers were correct," she beams at Jordan.

"I knew you could do it with a bit of help. Your grades will improve in no time," Noah pats the kid's shoulder.

"Matt, I've told you about Noah, but never had the chance to introduce him to you," Erin says. "Noah, this is Matt."

"Glad to meet you," Noah says as we shake hands. "We haven't seen Erin so happy in a while, so keep doing whatever you are doing. If you screw things up with her, you will have to deal with me besides Adam and Rory."

"You are not my bodyguard, you know?" Erin rolls her eyes. Jordan sniggers. "And this is Jordan and he is..." She looks at Noah, lost for words.

"I'm Jordan's guardian," Noah looks at him proudly and the boy gives him a shy smile. "Do you have all your stuff?" The boy nods as he pulls his backpack higher on his shoulder. "Good, let me bring you home. Thanks for the help, Erin."

"You are welcome and good luck tomorrow."

Jordan hugs with Erin, and then heads upstairs with Noah.

"I have a table reserved for us," Erin holds my hand and pulls me towards the stairs. As we pass by the bar, Rory hands us two tall glasses of beer.

"You didn't mention Jordan before. Do you tutor him often?"

"He only came into our lives a few days ago. The circumstances were terrible. He's had a rough life and needs a lot of care and protection. Noah is willing to give him that."