Hell in a Handbasket pt. 2

"So Grandma where are we going?" I sit in the back right seat staring down the road avoiding as much tension as I can.

"Just some shopping centers." She says from the left back seat behind the driver. A long pause sits in the air as I move the seat belt off my neck and back to my shoulder. "Now how has Chilton been going."

"It's fine." I sit up slightly and tug on my sleeve.

"Well that's not what I'v heard."

"And what have you heard?"

"We'll just that you've gotten around."

"Ah? Who told you I'm a whore!"

"Your a whore?"

"No!

"Then why would someone say such a thing?"

"Obviously if you know everyone thinks so!"

"Well why wouldn't they after the way you dress and act."

"In what way have I been a whore."

"You where messing around with some drunk boy at a party and then Tristian Dugrey. Out of everyone there, Mr. Dugrey. You know his family is very influential my dear."

"I wasn't messing with Tristian and that drunk guy is my friend. How do you even know this!"

"Well even so your tights made all the difference."

"What?"

"Black tights, no tights, Black socks, no tan tights with-."

"Ok that is so not in the hand book!"

"Well it's implied, everyone knows that."

"Why would I know that? God Chilton is so wacked! In no other place is it-"

"Your telling me everywhere else you go it's fine to wear tan tights with holes?"

"Yes it's fine to wear... holes?"

"Yes and apparently quite high as well, something I'm sure you already know."

"Holy tea and crumpets, no I didn't know my tights had holes in them!"

"How do you get dressed and not know about holes in your tights?

"How do you get dressed with that stick up your ass!"

"I-" she sits with her hands over her face.

"Emily I didn't... I didn't mean it." I reach out to touch her shoulder but hear a sharp inhale. "Are you dying!" She gasps for air "Your laughing? Oh my lord your laughing!"

"Oh my!" She wipes the bottom of her eyes with a tissue as a small smile grows on her face.

"Why are you laughing?"

"Am I not allowed to laugh?"

"Well, I don't know this has never happened before."

"You know the same thing happened to me when I was younger."

"You where called a slut?

"In a way but we certainly didn't call it that. Your grandfather's parents hated the idea of me. His mother still does."

"Shut up! No way."

"You think I'm lying to you?"

"No it's an expression- no, no I don't think your lying to me."

"Yes well they made up awful things about me, however your grandfather never believed them. Lucky for me." She looks me up and down as if looking over me for another memory and then goes back to viewing out the window.

"Madam." The driver calls out

"Yes Fredrick?" She answers calmly

"We are arriving to our destination."

"Victoria, how would you like to get a new pair of tights?" She asks as she remains together but I can tell she has to hold in her laugh. Maybe she isn't as bad as I thought.

——————————————————

After a day of shopping for nothing in particular we arrive back to the grandparents establishment. We walk up to the giant wood doors and when opened Rory practically jumps into my arms.

"How was it?" She asks in a whisper as she leads me to the side room away from the grandparents.

"It was fine. Almost kind of fun actually to start but it went downhill fast once we actually hit the stores." I glance  over my shoulder to see the grandparents talking and look away when Richard turns his head and we make eye contact. "I do believe they are talking about us."

"What did you do?" She says with a tone so sharp is could cut my head off.

"Why is that the first thing you come up with?" I fire back.

"Well isn't it always you." Just as she finishes she looks around me gives a smile and walks over to the grandparents. I follow in suit still steaming from the previous conversation.

———————-

I know this is short don't come for me! I'm going to updating again really soon, I promise besties!
-M