𝐋𝐌𝐌

Chapter Fifteen —— 𝐋𝐌𝐌

Even if you cannot change all the people around you, you can change the people you choose to be around. Life is too short to waste your time on people who don't respect, appreciate, and value you. Spend your life with people who make you smile, laugh, and feel loved.
——Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

"Alistair is gone," Edward murmured as I walked up to him

I rolled my eyes.

"Of course, he's gone." I said as I placed a hand over my small bump.

Inside the front room, the main confrontation was physically apparent. Lining the walls was a ring of spectators, every vampire who had joined us, except for Alistair and the three involved in the quarrel.

Esme, Kebi, and Tia were the closest to the three vampires in the center; in the middle of the room, Amun was hissing at Carlisle and Benjamin.

Edward's jaw tightened and he moved quickly to Esme's side.

"Amun, if you want to go, no one is forcing you to stay," Carlisle said calmly.

"You're stealing half my coven, Carlisle!" Amun shrieked, stabbing one finger at Benjamin. "Is that why you called me here? To steal from me?" He asked.

"Dramatic." I said.

Carlisle sighed, and Benjamin rolled his eyes.

"Yes, Carlisle picked a fight with the Volturi, endangered his whole family, just to lure me here to my death," Benjamin said sarcastically. "Be reasonable, Amun. I'm committed to do the right thing here—I'm not joining any other coven. You can do whatever you want, of course, as Carlisle has pointed out." He continued.

"This won't end well," Amun growled. "Alistair was the only sane one here. We should all be running." He said.

"Think of who you're calling sane," Tia murmured in a quiet aside.

"We're all going to be slaughtered!" Amun exclaimed.

"It's not going to come to a fight," Carlisle said in a firm voice.

"You say!" Amun exclaimed.

"If it does, you can always switch sides, Amun. I'm sure the Volturi will appreciate your help." Carlisle said.

Amun sneered at him. "Perhaps that is the answer." He said.

Carlisle's answer was soft and sincere. "I wouldn't hold that against you, Amun. We have been friends for a long time, but I would never ask you to die for me." He said.

Amun's voice was more controlled, too. "But you're taking my Benjamin down with you." He said.

Carlisle put his hand on Amun's shoulder; Amun shook it off.