𝐂𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐈𝐧 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐀𝐜𝐭

Chapter Six — 𝐂𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐈𝐧 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐀𝐜𝐭

I thought my fire was out,
and stirred the ashes....
I burnt my fingers.
—Antonio Machado, Times Alone: Selected Poems

Two Weeks Later

"You know Althea I wouldn't be surprised if you were already pregnant." Charlie said as I made him breakfast and while he glared at Embry.

Early in the morning, Charlie has used his emergency key to my house and walked in on Embry and I having sex and now he won't stop talking about it.

"Barefoot and pregnant. After the scene I seen this morning, I suppose I wouldn't be all that shocked if you
managed it." Charlie said.

"Kill me now." Embry muttered as I passed him.

Embry was officially in hell.

"Okay, we get it, uncle Charlie." I said.

"Are you two at least using protection?" He asked.

"Yes, of course." I answered, lying.

"Good, I'm too young to be a grandpa." He said.

"I think you're at the perfect age." I said as I placed a plate in front of him.

Charlie glared at me.

"Thank you but I'm serious Althea no babies until I'm ready." He said.

"So I have to wait on you to be ready to be a grandpa so I can have a baby?" I asked.

"Yes." He replied.

Embry chuckled.

"Is there something funny, Embryo?" Charlie asked.

I smirked at Charlie because I knew he purposefully mispronounced Embry's name to be annoying.

"It's Embry and no sir." Embry answered.

I placed a plate in front of Embry and kissed his cheek.

"He's only messing with you." I said.

Embry smiled as Charlie stared at us.

"Yes, uncle Charlie?" I asked.

"You two remind me of Sam and Emily." He answered.

Embry and I looked at each other.

"I guess that's a compliment." Embry said.

"It's not." Charlie said.

"So, you're telling us that Chief Swan caught you guys in the act then insulted you both by comparing you two to Sam and Emily?" Quil asked as Leah, Seth, and Jacob kept laughing.

"It's not funny. Charlie can be mean when he wants to be, especially if he feels like he's losing me to someone else. You know he's like my dad and he already lost Bella, I'm sure he doesn't want Embry to take me away from him." I answered.

"Poor Charlie, one daughter makes a stupid life choice and he starts digging his claws into the only relative he has left. Good luck, Embry." Seth said.

"Maybe, he should move in with Billy." Jacob said.

"Why would he do that? You and Rachel still live at him." Embry said.

"Nah, Rachel moved in with Paul and it will be a great way to keep the old men out of our business." Jacob said.

"Good idea. How are you going to convince Billy to ask Charlie to move in?" Seth asked.

"I'll find a way." Jacob answered.

"I'm sorry I'm still on the fact that Charlie said you two basically act like an imprinted couple." Leah said.

"Yeah, it's not let Emily and Sam know that Charlie doesn't like them. And do you guys think we act like an imprinted couple?" I asked.

"Sometimes, I want to ask if you guys did imprint but I know we would have known about it." Seth answered.

"You guys do act like a couple." Quil said.

"Yeah you guys do." Jacob said.

"Maybe you're pregnant and that's why you guys are acting like that." Leah said.

"I mean it's been two weeks since we started having sex." Embry said.

"Maybe I should take a pregnancy test." I said.

"Maybe you should." Embry said.

"Just make sure not to buy it locally." Leah said.

"Yeah, there's already enough rumors going around on the reservation." Embry said.

"Okay." I said.