𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐬

Chapter Twenty —— 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐬

It's not given to people to judge what's right or wrong. People have eternally been mistaken and will be mistaken, and in nothing more than in what they consider right and wrong.
——Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

"Do you think they've fooled me, then, brother?" Aro's expression was greatly amused, but Caius flinched

"Do you think they've fooled me, then, brother?" Aro's expression was greatly amused, but Caius flinched. "Is the heartbeat you hear a trickery as well?" He asked.

Caius scowled, looking as chagrined as if Aro's gentle questions had been blows.

"Calmly and carefully, brother," Aro cautioned, still smiling at Renesmee. "I know well how you love your justice, but there is no justice in acting against this unique little one for her parentage. And so much to learn, so much to learn! I know you don't have my enthusiasm for collecting histories, but be tolerant with me, brother, as I add a chapter that stuns me with its improbability. We came expecting only justice and the sadness of false friends, but look what we have gained instead! New, bright knowledge of ourselves, our possibilities." He said.

He held out his hand to Renesmee in invitation. But this was not what she wanted. She leaned away from Bella, stretching upward to touch her fingertips to Aro's face.

Aro did not react with shock as almost everyone else had responded to this performance from Renesmee; he was as used to the flow of thought and memory from other minds as Edward was.

His smile widened, and he sighed in satisfaction.

"Brilliant," he whispered.

Renesmee relaxed back into Bella's arms, her little face very serious.

"Please?" she asked him.

His smile turned gentle. "Of course, I have no desire to harm your loved ones, precious Renesmee." He said.

Aro's voice was so comforting and affectionate, and it took me in for a second. And then I heard Edward's teeth grind together and, far behind us, Maggie's outraged hiss at the lie.

"I wonder," Aro said thoughtfully, seeming unaware of the reaction to his previous words. His eyes moved unexpectedly to Seth, and instead of the disgust the other Volturi viewed the giant wolf with, Aro's eyes were filled with a longing that I did not comprehend.

"It doesn't work that way," Edward said, the careful neutrality has gone from his suddenly harsh tone.

"Just an errant thought," Aro said, appraising Jacob openly, and then his eyes moved slowly across the two lines of werewolves behind us.

Whatever Renesmee had shown him, it made the wolves suddenly interesting to him.

"They don't belong to us, Aro. They don't follow our commands that way. They're here because they want to be." Edward said.