(Ten)

(Ten)

We did not speak until the others came home. While we waited I sat on the couch, watching the blank TV screen, and Zane stood behind the kitchen bench, watching my blank face. It must've been hours before they got back but my thoughts occupied me. The only thing I said to Zane was as we got back inside.

"You're all going to tell me everything," I said, my voice low and quiet. Zane had just nodded and gone to the fridge.

And now they're back, stumbling through the backdoor with grins on their faces. West is the first to register the situation; he sees me sitting on the couch, Zane behind the bench, and his face falls.

"Zane?" West questions. "What are you doing?"

"She knows," Zane shrugs, an slight smirk on his face.

The frog mouthed boy's eyes go wild and he storms forward. "You went down there, didn't you? You little shit."

"Charlie," Zane warns. Finally I have a name for the face. "It's not exactly her fault. It's not like we told her not to."

"Oh, I think it was implied," Charlie hisses, glaring me down. I don't flinch, rebutting with a blank gaze. Curiosity mixes well with fear, turns it into something more productive.

"Well, that's just great isn't it," Danika sighs, her tone more frustrated then angry. "I suppose she wants to know everything now."

"Yes, she does," I snap. They all watch me quizzically, probably wondering where I found the courage. All of them except Ryker, that is, who has a very neutral expression on his face. Clearly he doesn't know how to react yet. "I want you all to come sit down here and tell me the truth, tell me what exactly is going on, or I'm going to tell everyone about what's down there and what you're doing."

Strangely, they all look at Zane when I say that.

"She knows now. We can glamour her or just tell her, and I sure as hell am not calling up a wizard." He shrugs and moves over to the couch and, with that cue, they all do the same. No resistance at all. I stay standing, the five of them sitting before me on the L shaped couch. Charlie glares and Ryker looks like he's about to explode but the other three seem mildly amused.

"So where do we start?" Zane asks, his hands spread wide. "What do you want to know?"

Suddenly I'm overwhelmed with potential questions. We could be here all night. "Why?" is the first question that comes to mind and the first I ask.

"Why what?"

"Why are you killing people?"

Danika laughs, snorting a little. "We didn't kill anyone. They fought each other."

"Why?"

"It's a sport," Zane explains. "Like your cricket or football."

"Last time I checked, killing people is not part of either of those sports."

"You'd be surprised about football," Ryker quips and I give him a long, hard look. He has an arm casually slung around the back of the couch and his tie half undone. His face is still mad but the rest of him is relaxed and comfortable. Mixed messages run through me.

"Okay. So you're all part of this secret underworld organization where there are magical creatures and you all go and watch creatures kill each other for fun?"

"Basically," Danika agrees, "although we prefer the term paranormal to magical. It's more politically correct."

"Christ," I mutter, rubbing my eyes with the heels of my palm. I feel a migraine setting in. I haven't had one for months but the sharp pain behind my eyes tells me that I won't sleep well tonight.