(Fifteen)

(Fifteen)

I can feel Gray watching me even when I turn away, even when I'm forced through the crowd to the buffet station. Not daring to glance back, I try to focus on what Zane is saying but my head swims. Something about my brief encounter with Gray has left me winded, left a mark on my brain. That white flower-is he legitimately a royal? The slick, suave look about him would say yes but something about the way he spoke, the way he stared right at me unabashed says no.

"Try this," Zane insists, handing me what looks like a seashell. It takes me a moment to function again.

"What is it?"

"Eat it like an oyster-do it." His grin is sly so I have a feeling this isn't going to taste great. Tipping my head back slightly, I put the opening of the shell to my mouth. Something slimy and sticky slides down my throat. Moving.

I cough and gasp, gagging. "What was that? Oh my god was that alive?"

"It's a creature that lives in rivers," Zane laughs, "it's great, yeah?"

"Is it an intelligent creature? Would it have suffered?" I touch my stomach wearily.

"It'd be as dumb and clueless as half the people in this room, don't worry."

I glance over my shoulder, making an effort not to look at Gray who is still watching. "I don't think you should say that so loudly Zane. Wouldn't it be better to stay on the politicians' good side?"

"Not until they release my sister," Zane sneers, glaring up at the general public.

I narrow my eyes, setting the seashell down. Every time I talk to Zane I'm surprised by some new piece of information. "Your sister? Where is she?"

"In prison. She was put in for killing a witch."

I try to stay cool, pretending to look over the foods. "Did she do it?"

"It doesn't matter. The point is that she was only convicted because it was a light creature. Hundreds of dark creatures die every day and no one cares at all. Even here we're weary about a light creature fighting because we know some idiot will cause a fuss." Zane runs a hand through his hair and picks up a pretzel-like pastry, shoving the whole thing into his mouth. "It's bullshit."

"How long is she in for?"

"Life. Eternity. Until I can get her out." I try to imagine living in a prison forever. I can't even imagine the first day. "The worst part is they labelled her as dangerous-like every single creature isn't dangerous-and threw her in solitary confinement. I'm only allowed to see her once every two months and..." Zane trials off, rubbing at his eyes.

I bite my lip, placing a hand on his arm. He looks down at it, eyes wide and shiny. "It's so nice that you care for your sister. I'm sure you'll be able to get her out."

"Thanks Immy. I really hope I can. I think you'd like her, she's a lot like you."

"What's her name?"

"Aster," Zane sighs, turning his face away from me to hide some emotion. He goes back to the table, picking up random foods and eating them in excessive amounts. So I guess it's not just humans who eat when they're sad. I watch him, wondering how much of the damage he's hiding.

I don't notice Gray until he's right up beside me.

"Shit! Don't sneak up on me like that," I exclaim, stepping away slightly.

Gray grins and puts a hand on my shoulder, pushing me towards the bar. I glance back at Zane desperately but he's too engrossed in the meat platter. Oh crap.