(Sixteen)

(Sixteen)

When I wake, I find out what it feels like to be crushed by a ten tonne rock. My whole body shakes as I come to, my vision blurry and the weight of my head almost too much. Someone stands above me but I can't even manage to move my eyes to look at their face.

"Morning," the person says and I deduct that it is Zane.

"Please don't shout," I whisper. "Were you watching me sleep?" Bad Twilight scenes flash before my eyes.

"No I only just came in to make sure you didn't react badly with the syrup. Take this." Zane holds a glass of pink liquid in front of my face and I slowly bring my hand up, pouring it into my mouth, barely avoiding drowning myself. Instantly I feel the shakiness wear away and some life burst into me. I hold the glass above my head, eyeing the liquid.

"This isn't the sort of deal where you drink more alcohol to ward off the hangover?"

"It's hydrolytes, so no," Zane laughs, taking the glass from me and setting it down next to my bed. I drag myself up and am suddenly aware that I probably look like shit-I'm still in the dress from last night and everything. That's just great.

"What happened last night?" I ask, rubbing my mouth with the back of my hand. I feel gross and sweaty and totally destroyed.

"You got trashed," Zane informs, helpfully. "Do you remember anything?"

"Nothing...except I met this red haired guy who was definitely coming on to me."

Zane smirks darkly. "That would be the Prince of the Underworld, Grayson."

"The prince? No way."

"You had a similar reaction to this last night," Zane laughs, "we went through it. You thought he was a dickhead, I agreed, he bought you a drink and got you drunk on syrup."

I remember that conversation as clearly as my first few years of life so I take Zane's word on it. "He got me drunk? What did he want from me?"

"What he wants from everyone." Zane shrugs. "A good time and something to laugh at."

"What is syrup anyway? Is that like slang for something or...?"

"It's a light creature drink. It's actually the blood of this weird forest rat, believe it or not." Is any food in the Underworld not blood? "You shouldn't have even touched it; it can kill people like poison. It burns me when I touch it. Well, it burns most dark creatures which is probably why light creatures like it so much. They're addicted to it."

"Like, addicted addicted or just very fond of it?"

"Addicted addicted. I guess it's the Underworld equivalent of cocaine or heroin. Except it's not illegal because the Royal family would never pass a law like that."

That Ranga asshole gave me liquid heroin? I could kill him. "I didn't embarrass myself did I? I didn't throw up?" I tend to do that.

"No, you were just kind of...talkative." Ah crap. "Do you remember anything from the end of the night at all Immy?"

"I literally don't even remember coming home," I admit.

"Okay, well, you found a dead body."

I laugh, rolling my eyes. "Okay, I was out of it but not that out of it Zane. Don't...you're being serious, aren't you?"

"He was one of our employees. Someone killed him just before we got there." I pat a spot on the bed and Zane sits down, sitting on one leg and letting the other hang off the bed. He doesn't look too upset but he does look shaken. "His name was Sloane, he was a werewolf. We think it might've been a political statement, killing him."

Killing (And Other Games)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें