30

Chapter Thirty: Just You Wait

ZACK

I'm no longer hiding the fact that I'm with Lana. Not that I was necessarily hiding it before, but we had such a confusing, tumultuous beginning that I wasn't sure where it would go. It's clear to me now that Lana is someone I want in my life. Someone I need in my life.

I mentioned this at lunch and was met with a blend of smiles and confusion. Jordan's happy for me, but I could have predicted that. He's generally supportive of his friends, even despite our sometimes questionable decisions. Grayson doesn't really care as long as I'm "hitting it." I make it clear to him not to refer to Lana in that way anymore.

Amelia pretended like she didn't hear me, but again, no surprise there. If the attention isn't on her, she'll disengage almost immediately. It's a talent, really. I haven't told Lizzy, but I'm sure it'll get around to her. At least I'm fairly sure it will. She's not really around these days.

Erin and Andrea ask me to join them at a diner on Main Street after school, but I'll be at Lana's musical practice, so I decline. I swear Amelia grimaces at my reasoning. One of these days, I know I'll probably say something to her. But for now, I refrain, because whatever I'll say definitely won't be in her favor.

Making my way to the auditorium, I realize I'm not down this particular corridor very often. Its walls are plastered with large expanses of colored construction paper, boasting the images of the musical cast. Above their pictures are their names in big, bolded bubble lettering. Below each is a short bulleted list describing them. I see Carly's smiling face and read her brief description: Future plans: attend college for creative writing; Loves: clarinets, orange kittens, and ice cream sundaes; Quote: "If you never try, you'll never succeed!"

Next to Carly is Lana, she's smiling, but it's obvious she's more camera shy. Under her picture, it reads: Future plans: go to nursing school; Loves: my brother, acoustic guitars, and being with my friends; Quote: "The sun doesn't actually rise. We just have to turn to face it."

I loiter in front of the cast photos for another minute, considering Lana's quote and why she might have chosen it. I'm not sure where she got it from, but it sounds like the most uplifting thing she's written. Originating from our previous moon analogy, I can only assume that the sun in this instance refers to something Lana never had much of: hope.

There's a smile on my face before I can even realize it. I shove my hands in my pockets and continue down the hall towards the auditorium's entrance. The closer I get, the louder the piano's melody becomes.

I push through the doors and turn to see what I perceive to be the entire cast on stage, humming a warmup and making funny noises with their lips. They all look like a bunch of vibrating ducks. I catch Lana's eye and give her a small wave, finding a seat near the back of the auditorium.

Lana's got on a blue, oversized shirt that flows around her as she prances across the newly-stained, wooden stage. She paired it with tight, black leggings that I can't help but notice accentuate her features. I realize this is the fastest I've ever seen her move, even in gym class, and I hadn't known how graceful she could be.

The students are doing stretches now, reminiscent of how my team and I used to warm up for basketball practice. Aside from Lana, Carly, and Sebastian, there are only a handful of familiar faces up there. I examine the rest, pushing my brain to remember any of them. How many times I might've passed them in the halls or stood behind them in the lunch line. How many of them popped up on my social media platforms, only for their friend request to be immediately deleted.

They all look to be in their element, surrounded by kids who share similar passions. This is their safe place. This is where they go to express themselves, support each other, and have a blast all the while creating their own imaginative rendition of Hamilton. Whoever that is.

The group begins to sing the opening number which is devoid of any staging or dancing, probably since it's too early yet to incorporate choreography. Despite the lack of movement, one boy (with his hair fastened in a low ponytail) stands amongst his peers and sings: "Alexander Hamilton. My name is Alexander Hamilton. And there's a million things I haven't done, but just you wait. Just you wait."

There's so much truth to that statement. There certainly are a million things I haven't done, and now, with my affliction, I may just have all the time in the world to do them. But where do I start?

As I catch a glimpse of Lana's smiling face, I realize I've already started exactly where I should have.