36

Chapter Thirty-Six: Poker Face

ZACK

When I pull up to Grayson's house and put my car in park, I see Lana can't hide her surprise at the magnitude of his home. It is beautiful, truly. I remember coming here in grade school and wishing my house was as immaculate as his. It was only two years later that my father struck big and we were able to purchase one that very much mirrored Gray's.

I try to ignore the knot in my stomach as I rest my hand on Lana's leg. She looks at me, torn away from her thoughts. "It's going to be fun," I assure her, but I'm not even sure if I believe myself. "Game nights are always relaxing. No pressure."

She smoothes her hair and tells me, "It isn't the games that have me worried."

"I know," I tell her, giving her thigh a reassuring squeeze.

She sighs and peers back out the window at the expanse of Gray's mini mansion. "I never thought I'd be paling around with the very people who made it their mission to emotionally tear me down."

"No one's going to say shit to you. You have my word."

"I know." She smiles weakly at me. "But sometimes things left unsaid can hurt just the same."

"Well, lucky for you," I gently jab a finger at her ribs, "This vampire guy can read minds."

Her brows raise in mock bewilderment. "And what will you do to your friends if they have bad thoughts about me?"

"I'll pinch them."

"Pinch them? Pinching is your first line of defense?"

"I'll pinch them so hard."

She lets out one of her abrupt, genuine bouts of laughter. "So if you can read minds, oh Mighty Pincher, what am I thinking right now?"

"Hold on," I say, sprawling my entire right hand over her face. She smiles between my fingers. I squeeze my eyes shut tight and hum melodramatically as if conducting a psychic reading. Suddenly, my eyes shoot open and I pull away from her face.

"Lana!" My jaw drops and I, flustered, tug the keys out of the ignition and go to exit the car. "That is not appropriate. Get your mind out of the gutter."

She's laughing when I open the passenger's side door to let her out. As we walk towards Gray's house, I drape an arm over her shoulders and lean in close to whisper, "If you keep imagining me naked, it's going to make for a very long night."

She tries to playfully push me away but I only hold her closer, trapping her in a benevolent headlock.

Fearing I won't be able to pass the threshold, I text Grayson: Hey man, I'm here. Can I come in?

A quick reply: Obviously. Get the fuck in here.

The door's open, and no one responds when I peek in and shout for Gray, so we let ourselves in and meander towards the soft thumping of music permeating from the basement. His parents probably aren't home, as usual, but even when they are, they know to leave Gray and his friends alone in the lounge downstairs. He throws a tantrum if they don't. I know, I've seen it. And when Gray freaks out, it's never pretty. He can do a lot of damage when he wants to.

We walk down the basement stairs and round the corner. Gray stands to greet us, and I can see Amelia behind him, scowling at Lana. I can only hope this night will go as amicably as humanly possible.

Gray and I slap hands and after he's done with me, his focus shifts to Lana. He spreads his arms wide and when Lana doesn't bring it in for a hug, he pulls her close for an embrace, saying, "It's great to finally hang out with you."