35

Chapter Thirty-Five: A Nonviolent Person

LANA

The next day, I'm exhausted. I wake up to a pile of printed papers on my desk. Zack's snoring lightly beside me and for some reason I can't even remember falling asleep. I wonder if Mom knows that a boy slept with me in my bed all night.

I pad my way across the room to examine the papers. There's a neon green post-it note on the stack which reads: I did a little research last night and found some things you may want to check out. -Blake. Skimming through them, I find various things--a list of different types of therapy, mental health professionals in our area, an article on what to expect going into your first session. I'm still too overwhelmed from the previous day's events to really delve into Blake's research, but it's appreciated nonetheless. I'll make a point to read through these and get back to him soon.

The next thing I do is check my phone. There's a voicemail from Mom left an hour ago. It says that she's still at the hospital and that there aren't any updates on Amanda yet.

I nudge Zack awake, and with a kiss, suggest that he go home to get ready for school.

"You want to play hooky today?" he offers, stretching before pulling my comforter up to his neck. I meet his sleepy eyes and tell him that there isn't anything we can do now, and if I don't go to school, I'll just sit here and worry about my sister. He groans and rolls over, taking the blankets with him. I laugh and make my way to the bathroom to get ready for the day.

When Zack and I finally make it downstairs, Blake has made pancakes. I'm taken aback, but welcome the sweet biscuity aroma.

Zack politely refuses and tells me he'll see me later. Blake and I eat in silence, but he seems to be in a better mood than yesterday. I hate seeing my brother in pain, so this makes my heart happy. In some way, I also feel like a weight has been lifted off of me despite my sister's wellbeing still being up in the air.

As the two of us shovel fork-fulls of syrupy goodness into our mouths, I can almost pretend that we're a normal family. If only for a moment.

I hide from my friends after school. I realize how utterly childish that is, but I just can't show up to musical practice prancing around the stage like everything's okay. I stay well beyond the late bell in my last class of the day, feigning confusion on the homework Mr. Johns assigned. Before exiting his room, he shoots me a pitiful look and tells me he's praying for my sister's quick recovery.

I don't know how to tell him that it's going to require a lot more than prayers to pull Amanda from her dangerous slumber. Instead, I smile weakly and thank him.

When I get to my locker, the halls are nearly desolate aside from a few students staying late for tutoring. I take my time exchanging books and retrieving my jacket, because being at home with Mom who is still on edge since the accident sounds like torture.

Torture. Speak of the Devil and he always appears. This time, in the form of long, tan legs, a conniving smile, and piercing blue eyes. Amelia makes a B-line for me, and I wonder for a moment if I pretend she isn't there, maybe she'll evaporate and I won't have to deal with her again until the next big storm.

Luck has never been on my side.

She slams my locker shut and I take an involuntary step backward.

"You're his play thing, you know that, right?" she asks with hatred in her glare.

"If by 'play thing' you mean girlfriend, then yes, I'm well aware."

Apparently Amelia isn't into comedy, because she shifts her weight from one foot to the other and licks her lips before spewing, "You were at the right place at the right time, that's all. So you can wipe that smug grin off your face, honestly."