08

Today was supposed to be the first day I got to work in the psych ward.

I was never previously permitted to go to the second floor. As my internship coordinator explained, psych patients required experienced workers. I supposed I was finally considered experienced after interning for a little bit over a year.

On the way to the hospital, I had stopped by a coffee store to get myself and Dr. Wiltshire, my internship supervisor, our caffeine. It had become a routine. I'd buy him coffee and he'd buy me a cookie or muffin after I finished my work.

"Good morning, Cher." Dr. Wiltshire greeted me as I entered the hospital. He was sat in the waiting seats looking through a file, a pen in hand. The hospital was fairly empty because it was six in the morning, but it would be bustling soon enough.

I smiled before greeting him and handing him his coffee.

He placed the file aside, accepting the cup with gratitude.

Dr. Wiltshire was an older man, in his late sixties, I assumed. His hair was white and he wore thick-rimmed glasses. He specialized in treating children with cancer, so he was really kind and young at heart. His wife passed away a year before we met. Since then, he'd vowed to keep every day filled with joy and helping others, something working with children permitted him to do. It was what his wife would want him to do, as he had explained to me.

"I've told you, you can call me Sam." Dr. Wiltshire playfully rolled his eyes at me.

I shook my head, grinning as I took a seat across from him. "I respect you too much to call you by your first name."

"Alright," He smiled. "Well, today you'll be shadowing the receptionist in the psych ward, on the second floor. Remember the patients are more prone to emotional outbursts, so try not to make much noise or sudden movements."

"Of course." I nodded, although I felt a bit nervous. I had no previous experience of working with individuals with mental disorders. Naturally, I wasn't sure what to expect.

"Don't worry, any patients that have been deemed threatening to themselves or others are not going to be in the wing that you will be shadowing in." He assured me.

The worry began to dissipate. It would all be okay.

We only saw each other once a week for about an hour in total. When I arrived he was able to spare about ten minutes to chat. As such, we spent those minutes drinking coffee and bringing each other up to speed on our personal lives as well as work. I told him how my apartment had flooded and he shared the good news of successful treatment for an eight-year-old. His daughter, now six years old had also told him she wanted to become a doctor. It was warming to see Dr. Wiltshire speak so fondly of his children.

Soon enough it was time for Dr. Wiltshire to do what doctors do and for me to begin my shadowing shift.

After signing myself in, I headed into the elevator.

Once I got to the second floor, I was greeted by the receptionist, Taylor Hopkins. Taylor insisted I called her by her first name, especially since she couldn't have been more than five years older than me. She was quick to tell me about the ins and outs. My whole job was to just check-in and check-out any visitors that came through. Easy peasy.

* * *

I'd been sitting for almost half an hour with no visitations. It was kind of sad to think no one had thought of visiting the patients. The hospital's policy was that no one was to use their phones unless they were on their lunch breaks. As such, I resorted to doodling on a pad of paper to pass the time.