33

I couldn't leave until the crowd thinned out, but I was eager to get out as soon as I could.

The muscles in Ace's back were tense as he stalked off the ring. Losing couldn't feel good.

Soon enough, most of the audience had left the arena.

I got to my feet, prepared to leave when I felt two hands slide around my waist and pulling me back against someone's chest.

"Let go of me!" I shrieked, prepared to kick the person in their shins.

"Calm down, Cher. Let's go home."

Ace.

I shook my head. "I'm not going anywhere with you until you explain what the hell I witnessed in the locker room."

"I promise, I will. Just not here. Not with so many people around."

It was then that I noticed we'd had a ring of people watching us curiously.

"I'd prefer you tell me here, I need witnesses if you try killing me."

"C'mon, Cher. I'm not going to hurt you."

I sighed. "Fine, let's go."

In the back of my mind, I still didn't trust him. But he looked so defeated after losing his match. The first match he'd lost.

Somewhere deep down, I believed there was an explanation for the locker room incident.

* * *

Ace's phone began to ring as we stepped into his house. I'd never been to his place. As expected from a minor celebrity his house was gorgeous and large. The layout was similar to that of Tristan's, but it was much cleaner and the decor was top tier.

"Hello?" Ace picked up.

I watched his face contort into confusion, then worry, then anger.

"What do you mean she's gone?" He snapped. "Who has her?"

I watched him hang up the call and grab a vase from a table, launching it across the room.

I shrieked, grabbing his arm, "What's wrong?"

He looked at me and without warning, slammed me against the wall. Behind were hooks for hanging coats. "Where is she?"

"Who? Where is who?" I cried out.

"Don't you dare play stupid with me, Cher. Where is my sister?"

"Your sister? How could I know where she is?" I protested.

"She's missing! She went missing an hour ago!"

"I was at your match this whole time! How could I have anything to do with this?"

His grip on me softened as he realized how stupid he was being.

"What about my mother then?" He pushed me harder against the wall, a hook began digging into my spine.

I winced as my brows furrowed. "Your mother?"

Ace let out a humourless chuckle. "Yes. My mother. You killed her, eight years ago."

I shook my head frantically. "I never killed any--"

"--Don't lie to me. You told me, not long ago that your body count is one--"

"--That was a joke!" I protested. What had gotten into him?

"SHUT UP!" He yelled, his eyes darkening in rage.

"ACE YOU'RE SCARING ME!"

"Tell me the truth. I need to hear the truth from your mouth."

"It was self-defence." I cried out as the hook dug deeper into my back.