22

"So, what you're telling me is that instead of your boyfriend picking you up, your miserable excuse of a roommate had to come and get you?" Ace asked. "I'm sorry, Cher, but I think you need new guys in your life."

I began to cry even more. We were sitting in a fast-food restaurant. I had spent the last half hour explaining what had gone down at Tristan's place. I shoved a fry into my mouth, to quiet my sobs, but it didn't matter, we were already receiving numerous stares from other people.

Ace had his shades on as well as a hood. He told me paparazzi could be around any corner. I couldn't look at him seriously when he looked like he was about to rob a bank, so I kept my eyes directed at my plate.

"Cher? Hey, why are you crying more? C'mon, I'm kidding." He cupped my face with one hand, making me meet his gaze as he wiped away some tears with the pad of his thumb. "I'm messing with you. I'm sure your boyfriend is a great guy."

"He cheated on me."

"What?" He laughed out.

"You're laughing at me?" I snapped. I hate all boys.

"No, no." He shook his head frantically. "I'm not laughing at you. I'm laughing at him. Is he out of his mind? How could he cheat on you, you look like a goddess." He studied my face. "Well, most times, you do."

I scoffed. "Guess it's because I'm crazy and stupid, at least that's what everyone tells me nowadays."

"You're not stupid and you're not crazy. You do look a bit like you are though." He gestured to the mess of my hair. I was certain I looked like a robber too because my mascara was stinging my eyes.

I threw two fries at him, grabbing replacements from his plate.

He was grinning like an idiot, not able to suppress his happiness. And I knew why.

"Could you at least pretend to feel bad about it?"

"What?" He asked, acting naive.

"You know, about Carter cheating on me?"

"Oh, that makes this even funnier." Ace laughed even more. "His name is Carter? That's so embarrassing. It's like taking the word car, and adding on three letters so that it can pass as a name."

"Says you, you're literally a card." I snorted. He wasn't wrong. Carter was such a funny name now that I thought about it.

"No," He dipped a fry in ketchup. "I'm someone who succeeds at things. An ace."

I playfully glared at him. I wouldn't admit it aloud, but being around him had already lifted my mood.

I glanced at a clock at the back of the restaurant. I was going to be late for work. "I need to get to the restaurant, I have a shift."

"Call in sick," Ace suggested.

"I can't I need the money."

"I could pay for whatever you want." He offered.

I shook my head, my eyes widening. "I could never ask you to do that."

"You don't have to ask, I've already offered." He smiled.

I grabbed his hand, giving it a squeeze. "Thank you, but you've done more than enough for me already."

"What? Listening to you talk? Please, that's not considered a favour in my eyes. I love talking with you."

A sudden urge to kiss him filled my mind, taking me by surprise. But I decided against it. I needed to take a step back from any romantic moves with guys, for now.