27

Oh. Sometimes I forgot he was sort of famous.

"What do we do?"

"Okay, you wait here, I'll get my car and we'll make a run for it."

I nodded, "Be careful."

He kissed my cheek behind the menu, flashing me a smile that displayed his dimples. "See you in a minute."

I watched him explain the situation to one of the servers, who immediately led him to the kitchen.

It was only once Ace had disappeared out of sight that I noticed them.

The men in black.

Oh, give me a break.

There were three of them, all sat at a table with untouched meals in front of them.

Had they been watching me this whole time?

Cautiously, I stood up, heading for the ladies' washrooms.

Looking over my shoulder, I noticed the three of them stand up.

Crap, crap, crap. 

I needed to leave. But I was trapped. The men in black were on my tail. The car was parked below the restaurant. The patio was filled with paparazzi.

I pushed my way into the washroom, finding marble slabs, a fountain and other luxurious decor. But I didn't have time to admire it, because I heard the men in black follow me inside. 

C'mon, it was the ladies' room!

Have they no manners?

Without warning, one of them grabbed me by my wrists, forcing me against a wall. "Where is it?" he seethed.

I guess not.

"I don't have any cash on me!" I protested, thrashing about. "You can take my card, the pin is--"

"--Shut up." One of them snapped before glaring at the other men. "It's right there, idiots."

The third man raised a hand. I closed my eyes, preparing myself for the impact. All I could hear was my own heart beating as I struggled to control my breathing.

"Cher? Where are you?" I heard Ace call in the distance. 

"ACE!" I screamed, wondering why I hadn't done so already.

A hand was clamped over my mouth, silencing me. I tried to scream again but all that came out was muffled cries. I prayed Ace had heard me. A hand grabbed my neck, squeezing. I coughed in the attempt to catch my breath, but it was no use. I felt myself getting light-headed.

That was when the washroom door swung open, revealing a fuming Ace. "Get your filthy hands off of her." It wasn't a request, but a demand.

The men didn't budge. Ace charged for them, prepared to attack. He punched one of the men, the one who gripped my neck. Immediately, I could breathe again and I was released.

"Let's get out of here." One of the men muttered to the other two. "We got what we needed."

I closed my eyes, hugging Ace as relief washed over me.

"Hey, are you okay?" He asked once the men had left, pulling away and cupping my face with his hands, examining me for any injury.

I caught my breath. "I think so."

His gaze dropped to right below my neck. I felt a blush creeping up on me. 

But he was frowning. "Where's your necklace?"