24

"Excuse me, ma'am?" Some man spoke with a very heavy country accent.

I was struggling to organize the coins in my hand. After my heartfelt conversation with Ellie, I told her I would take over her shifts until she started to get better. As such, I was working one of her late shifts.

"How can I help you, sir?" I replied, not looking up from the cash register.

"I'm looking for this cute blonde."

"Uh-huh..." How original. Please, move along. "Sorry, there aren't any cute blondes here."

The man continued. "She loves watching me wrestle."

I looked up from the register. The man had dark hair, was wearing shades, but it was the smile that gave him away immediately. "Ace?"

"Hello, Cher." He greeted.

"Why are you wearing shades?" I questioned. "It's pitch black outside."

"Paparazzi." He explained, dropping the fake country accent.

"What are you doing here?"

"When does your shift end?"

I looked at the time. "Two minutes, why?"

"We're going for a little drive, that's all."

Giddiness erupted in my stomach. "Sounds good."

"I'll be waiting in the back lot." He ruffled my hair before heading out of the restaurant.

* * *

We were sat in a jet black, convertible Mercedes, a car I'd never seen before. I wondered just how many vehicles Ace owned.

The roof was down, allowing the wind to rush at us. I loved the feeling.

We'd been driving for a good ten minutes, music blaring, talking about random things. I was in a good mood.

The road ahead was clear of any cars.

I watched as Ace turned the music down. He looked over at me, a mischievous look in his eyes. "Take off your belt and stand up!" He demanded over the wind.

"What? Are you insane?" I protested.

"Maybe a little bit, but stand up!" He repeated.

Looking around for any cops or witnesses, I sent Ace a sidelong glance before unbuckling my belt.

"That's it, now stand up."

Glaring at him, I stood up. I nearly stumbled, but Ace reached out a hand, steadying me at my waist.

I grabbed hold of the car for dear life.

"Let go." Ace yelled over the wind.

"What?"

"LET GO!"

"ARE YOU MAD?" I screamed. "DOES IT LOOK LIKE I WANT TO DIE?"

"TRUST ME! YOU WON'T FALL. I won't let you."

"If I die, you're coming to hell with me!"

"Deal! Now let go!"

Closing my eyes, I slowly peeled my hands away from the windshield.

"Good. Now raise your hands up the way Emma Watson did in that one movie."

Grinning, I did as he said.

"An angel. That's what you are." Ace announced, speeding up the car slightly.

Charlie was right. With the wind blowing my hair behind me, Ace laughing beside me, and my arms outstretched, I felt infinite.