𝘵𝘦𝘯

monday 6:55 pm

"we're back!!" tani smiled as she and her brother got back to the group, who were sitting down at a picnic table in the shade.

tani sat in the spot next to iwaizumi, and in front of ushijima, tooru sitting on iwaizumi's other side.

iwaizumi slid two bowls of ice cream toward the twins, each in their favorite flavors.

tani gasped. "iwa!! butterscotch, my favorite! you didn't have to, thank you!" tani exclaimed, putting her head on his shoulder and giving him a little side hug.

ushijima stared at tani's arm around iwaizumi, a jealous feeling erupting before he averted his eyes back to his ice cream.

"thanks iwa!" tooru says, taking a bite of his own ice cream.

"you're welcome guys, i figured you can't come to the ice cream stand and not order anything. also, you look like a wet dog, smellykawa," iwaizumi snickered, and tani chuckled, nudging his side. he nudged her back playfully.

ushijima trained his eyes on his bowl of ice cream, wondering whether or not tani had a thing for iwaizumi, and then wondering why he was wondering that.

"shut up, iwa-chan! it's not my fault the girl acted like she didn't have a boyfriend!"

tendou laughed. "she did seem pretty into you."

"right?!"

"what flavors did you guys get?" tani asked, changing the subject.

"chocolate!" tendou exclaimed, smiling wide, "my favorite!"

"vanilla," ushijima simply said.

"coffee," iwaizumi responded.

"oooh! can i try?" tani asked brightly, already stealing his spoon from his cup and taking a bite.

"why do you even ask if you're just going to do it anyways?" iwaizumi laughed and tani shrugged.

"i knew you were going to let me whether i asked or not," she said, taking another bite of his.

"hey! you're gonna eat all of mine! you have your own!"

iwaizumi stole tani's spoon, taking some of her ice cream in retaliation.

"hey!" she said, stealing it right back.

ushijima stared at the two, envying how comfortable tani acted around iwaizumi, and wishing he could open up to someone the way she could.

sure, tendou was his best friend, but he still didn't feel like he could let loose or talk about things around him.

it wasn't anything to do with tendou, but more himself and his internal struggles. and while he would have loved to be energetic and friendly like tani, it seemed that would make ushijima feel more vulnerable, and so instead he just stayed quiet, but he always wished he could see what it was like. to sing and dance in the car, to be loud and crazy in public, to laugh uncontrollably with friends, to let loose for once. just a day when he could live in someone else's shoes and think with their brain.