𝘵𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺-𝘰𝘯𝘦

friday 10:29 pm

following tani's confession, a sly smile formed on her brother's face.

"i knew itttt," tooru smirked, punching his sister's shoulder repeatedly.

she sighed, rolling her eyes.

"now what do i do about it you idiot? i didn't just tell you this for no reason."

tooru laughed a little, taking a deep breath and getting serious again.  "tani, even if i knew, he and i are complete opposites- i think you need to decide whatever feels right. does he give you any signals back? have you even tried to flirt with him? what made you realize?"

tani looked down at her feet, taking in all of the questions her brother was asking. she looked back up and met his eyes. "well, i don't really know how to flirt or how to pick up on it. i don't think he does either and so it's kind of weird. actually-" she said, pulling out her phone to show him one of the first conversations she had with him. "he said he was shooting his shot to me when we first started texting. the only thing is i don't know if it was a joke or if he didn't know
what it meant," she frowned, and tooru bursted out laughing as he scrolled through their messages together.

"what?!" tani asked, embarrassed, trying to snatch her phone back from her brother but proving unsuccessful due to their huge height difference. he snickered again when her phone received a notification- a text from the man himself asking where they went.

"ushijima texted youuu," he teased, and tani's eyes went wide.

"what? what does it say? do NOT answer tooru i swear to god," she desperately reached for her phone as he exaggerated a typing movement on it.

"he asked where we went. i said that we went down to the car for something and we'll be right back," he said calmly, handing the phone back to his sister. she looked down at the message he sent as he tried to hold in a laugh.

+++

wakatoshi ushijima
today 10:39 pm

Hey, where did you and
your brother go? You've
been gone a while and
I'm getting kind of worried
:(

we just went down to the
car to grab something,
don't worry babe 💖🥰

wakatoshi ushijima is typing...

+++

mortified, tani looked up at her laughing brother with the nastiest glare he'd ever seen on her face. his smile faltered little as she sighed, rage bubbling up in her stomach at the little stunt her brother pulled just now.

"tooru. i am going to fucking kill you!" she said, not yelling but certainly not calm.  he backed up against the wall as she cornered him, her fist raised as her eyebrows furrowed together in an angry pout.

"hey, hey!! no need to get violent- i can fix it just-"

her phone dinged again, saving tooru from his sister's wrath as she fumbled with her phone nervously to check it. tooru peered over his sister's shoulder to see what her crush's response was.

+++

wakatoshi ushijima
today 10:43 pm

Babe...?
And okay, come back
soon then. 💕

+++

tani's face flushed as she quickly typed out a response explaining that it was her idiot brother's doing and turned to tooru, calmed down a little but still angry.

"see? it's all fixed now, AND he added a heart look!" he pointed to the heart on her phone screen as she huffed, locking her phone and pocketing it.

"i hate you so much, you absolute fuckhead," she said, crossing her arms. "but i still don't know what to do about this."

tooru let out a relieved sigh, glad that his sister wasn't too mad at him. "like i said earlier, what made you realize?"

"in the elevator," she started, and he raised his eyebrows curiously. "bokuto knocked me into him and we kind of had, like, a moment or something," she said, her cheeks turning a bit pink at the thought of it.

"oooooooh," tooru cooed, pursing his lips together and raising his eyebrows again, this time suggestively.

"then i started thinking, and this is really embarrassing so you have to promise me you won't say anything to anyone OR tease me about it-"

he nodded, keeping his mouth shut.

"like... i would really like to be his girlfriend... i don't know it's kind of weird but i understand him and he understands me. and i can see a future with him as my boyfriend."

she paused, sighing. "but maybe i'm getting too far ahead of myself. i'm going to college after this year and he'll probably play volleyball professionally... it would never work. and i don't really want to go through that pain. i don't know if that would be worth it."

"hey, hey, don't rule it out just because of what's going to happen in a year, you have plenty of time and if you really think that he's good for you then you could at least give it a try, right?" tooru asked softly, pulling her into a hug.  "i think he would date you in an instant, personally," he added, laughing silently.

"yeah, you're right. but how long should i wait? i feel like i'm rushing into this and i don't want it to crash and burn," she frowned into his shirt.

"if you're certain about your feelings then all that's left is his response. and from the way he got all protective of you and how he wants to hang out with you alone, i'd say that he feels the same," tooru smiled, smoothing his sister's hair before letting her go to look at her in the eyes.

she smiled, but she was obviously being consumed by her own nerves.

"funny, you're the one who usually gives me the love advice," tooru joked, making her chuckle.

"okay, let's head back now. i'm ready to get WASTED," tooru smirked, pulling his conflicted sister back down the hall toward the rooms.

+++

a/n: listen this chapter was lame but i promise we're getting somewhere, just slowly 🙈🙈🙈

edited 9/18/23