10-Moisturizer

"We should probably start heading back. Your sister."

        "True," I agree. I turn the wheelchair. "It's starting to get dark out." I gaze at the parked boats along the dock. By now, I don't think either me or Sebastian remembers what the boat looked like.

        "You want me to take him for the walk home?" Luca offers. 

        "Please." I let go of the handles and massage my stiff fingers. I look at Sebastian, frustrated. Ever since I suggested we were connected, I've been feeling it more intensely. Every image, every worry, every thought that crosses his mind. Isn't there an off switch? It's confusing as heck! It feels like it's all mine. And right now he's sick thinking about all of the things happening to that child while he's stuck being pushed around by us. And I can't help but share his angst. I feel like I love her even though I never met her. The thought of her being far away is killing me. I'm already scared enough of every unfamiliar thing Sebastian sees.... just thinking that she's going through the same thing alone.... the fact that she's spending the night God knows where....it's driving me nuts

        "Miss. Kork?" A voice inquires from the right. I turn my head. A brunette man steps up from the docks, coiling rope around his hand and elbow. "Mr. Mason," he nods in Luca's direction. "What are you kids doing around here?"

           "Hey, Mr. Kriss," I greet. Kriss was good friends with my father before the accident.

          "This is Julie's cousin," Luca fills in, indicating to Sebastian. I hope Mick doesn't ask him anything. If he does, I Sebastian better pull off another miracle speech. "We're just showing him around."

        Mr. Kriss looks down at Sebastian and his smile wavers. A little crinkle appears between his eyebrows. "Oh," he replies.

        I feel like I'm going to throw up. I feel physically dizzy with worry. 

        You don't know her Julia!!!

        "Well," Luca interrupts. "We better get going. The 'rents wants us home in a half hour."

        Kriss looks back up. "Tell them I said hello."

        "Will do."

        We start forward. Luca leans in. "That was a little weird."

        "What?" I scratch my neck.

        "Did you see how he looked at Sebastian?"

        I shake my head and rake my nails against my arm. "Sorry, I'm just... distracted."

        "You okay?"

        "I..." I sigh. "It's like ever since I took note of the fact we have some kind of mental thing, I can't keep it out. It's non stop. It's like we're one person."

        "Oh..."

        "What?"

        He squints. "Why do you keep scratching?" He takes my forearm. "Julie, what did you do? You look like someone's cat attacked you!" 

        I reach my clawed hand toward it. Luca stops it. I look at him pleadingly. "It's fine, I just have dry skin." But as I say it, I realize I don't. A thin sheen of sweat lies on the surface.

        I step in front of the wheelchair and look at Sebastian, who's rubbing his arms. I didn't notice before, but he doesn't have fingernails. He looks at me as if saying sorry. His skin is dry and cracked. The way it looks, you'd think it was the dead of winter.

        "When we get home," I start, "you're applying moisturizer."