24 -The Call-

"Well, you tried," Mandy shrugs, leaning back in Brevity's desk chair in her room.

        They're silent for a moment.

        "Did you ask what happened to his legs?"

        "Oh, God, no. I wanted to know so bad, but felt weird asking!"

        "I would too. Still, I think I would've asked. I wonder if... I don't know... if he was like, born cripple, or if he broke his legs or something."

        The sound of music pierces the room.

       Mandy reaches into her shorts pocket.

        "It's probably my mom. She's the only one that calls me." Mandy looks at the screen. The caller ID says B's Dad.

        "My parents are like that too. I mean, is it really that hard to just text?"

        "I'm going to take this." She stands, "be right back." She taps the little green phone image and puts the phone to her ear, slipping out of the door.

        "Hello?" She walks into the bathroom and shuts the door behind her. Her heart is wild. He has news. What if he caught the-

        "Mandy, you know Julia Kork and Luca Mason, right? They're Brevity's friends."

        "Uhh," she glances out of the window, "we're not exactly close."

        "I need you to get one or both of them to the dock. Sector G. It has to do with what we talked about. Can you do it?"

        "Wait, they know about the mermaid?"

        "Maybe. Just.... Please. "

        "Alright, yeah, I'll see what I can do. No guarantees though."

        "Now, would be good."

        "Okay, keep me posted," she hangs up, reeling. Sticks and Babyface? Why them of all people? What could they do that Mandy couldn't?

        She slides back into Brevity's room.

        "Your mom?"

        Mandy looks at her, then smiles faintly. "Yeah." She sinks back into the swivel chair. How is she going to do this?

        Brevity puts her phone on the end table. "You want some pretzels or something?"

        Mandy's eyes lock onto the cell phone. "Yeah. That sounds good."

        "Be right back," she gets up and slips out of the room.

        As soon as she leaves, Mandy crosses the room and unlocks the phone.