˗ˋ 13

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

-: the beginnings :-

── IN WHICH SHE SLEEPS IN

. . .

There was one thing that Rhea Lovegood truly did not like about herself: her inability to make decisions without overthinking and considering possibilities which were practically out of this world.

It had gotten harder as she grew older, when more important, life-altering decisions were necessary to living a good life. For some it was easy, for others it was harder. 

Of course there were some decisions that came as naturally to her as breathing, like choosing to graduate early or go to Beauxbatons instead of Hogwarts and believing in the creatures that her father taught her about, even if they were completely insane and there was no way they existed (it was nicer to live in a world with some make-believe anyway).

But hours after Rhea had been offered a job at Weasley Wizard Wheezes, a business that she had been helping for no fee at all for the past few days, the overthinking had begun.

Because what if there were possibilities in another shop of Diagon Alley? What if she just waited and looked around a little further she found her dream job? What if she was looking in the wrong place and wanted to move away from Diagon Alley and go into some other field of work - Astronomy, Magizoology and even the skill of baking had always interested her. 

So many 'what ifs' and not so many answers or realistic ways of which these potential scenarios could happen. She was overthinking everything, and with her new-found friendship with the twins also playing into this decision, it didn't help at all. 

She woke up late the next day; 10am sun pouring through the cracks in her curtains, Clover and Clemency already racing around the attic apartment having been woken up for hours.

Considering her confusion to accept the night before, Rhea not turning up for work at her usual time would most likely push the twins towards thinking she had been scared off and wasn't planning on accepting.

Making the fact she had woken up at a time where they were usually already so busy putting the shop together and working towards opening on April 22nd not so ideal. 

Rhea shot from her bed and into the bathroom, showering and rushing out to change into an outfit with her hair dried by magic, smelling of cherries and dirigible plums. 

Even though she was late, there would be no way of her looking anything other than her usual self. And with that, she put on a sage green dress with puffed sleeves ending midway up her forearm and skirts landing several inches above her thight, a dark brown leather corset-style vest over it, magic tightening the ribbons that fluttered so casually in the breeze from the balcony. 

Her hair hung free, matching ribbions twisted around tiny plaits, makeup minimal and mostly smudged brown eyeliner, shoes consisting of some battered trainers from the Muggle brand 'Converse'. A button necklace hung around her neck, a cork ring circling her forefinger, her usual moon and stars earrings hanging from each ear. 

"I'm so sorry." Rhea muttered her apologies to Clemency and Clover, who were watching her very expectantly, only distracted when a wave of Rhea's wand (which was then tucked behind her ear) produced food. 

And with the two animal inhabitants of the attic happy, Rhea slipped the fabric strap of her bag over her shoulder and rushed out the door, knuckles turning white as she gripped the rail as she hurried down the stairs.

"You're up late!" Ferelith exclaimed when she heard the thud on the staircase and the flash of white-blonde hair emerged in the backroom of the shop. 

"I slept in." Rhea smiled awkwardly, twisting her fingers around the butterbeer cork ring. "I really should go - Fred and George might be waiting for me."

Mrs Bixby spotted the hesitation and placed a motherly hand on the Lovegood girl's shoulder. "Don't worry about it. You just think about that job offer and if you arrive and they're not there then you can come and help me, alright?"

Rhea nodded, feeling the hand tap her shoulder and push her gently towards the door of the shop. With that encouragement she left the Apothecary and joined the forever growing crowds of Diagon Alley, slipping between people and dancing over the cobblestone as it grew harder to move.

But eventually she reached the purple and orange door, reaching out and placing her hand on the brass door handle, a worry filling her that could only be sedated by going inside. So with a deep breath and words that she had heard so often from her mother playing in her mind, Rhea pushed down and opened the door.

"Sorry I'm late." The girl mumbled as she slipped through, back pressed against the wood after closing it. The bell above the door finished ringing and two heads of ginger hair popped up on the second floor of the shop.

And of course, she was greeted by two, identical smiles.