˗ˋ 16

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

-: the beginnings :-

── IN WHICH MRS BIXBY
REASSURES

. . .

Rhea had a smile on her face as she made her way back to the Apothecary. Unlike her journey to the building of 93 Diagon Alley, the cobbled streets were a little busier; the shopping district was beginning to wake up. 

It really was a quite warm sight, if that made any sense at all. Even when it was empty, Diagon Alley was a comforting scene, but as it was beginning to grown into the busyness of the day, that aspect seemed to grow even stronger.

"Good morning!" There was a spring in Rhea's step as she danced along, smiling at every person she passed. She had even helped out a few people carrying heavy new deliveries into their shops, and paused beside the Magical Menagerie. 

Several cats meowed from in their cage and she crouched beside them, holding a hand out to let them sniff before managing to slide her hand through the bars, scratching them behind their ears. "You're so pretty." Rhea smiled down at the peachy-blonde patterned kitten, who was curled up besides her twin and mother. 

Similar actions followed when she straightened up and made her way over to the owl cages, picking up a couple of the soecial treats from the offered bowl, feeding them through the metal. 

With a smile and wave to the owner of the shop, who was busy trying to herd a group of rats back into the cage within the building, Rhea dodging out of the way of a couple crowds of people.

"So, what had you rushing out so early in the morning." Ferelith was in the front of the Apothecary, in front of several boxes. "Come on, pick up one and help me. I'm getting too old to move these on my own, and magic is too jerky for the delicate contents."

Rhea picked up the box with the neatly printed label of 'coloured vials', holding it as tightly as she dared whilst following the Bixby woman in. "I had a realisation." Rhea replied with the same airy tone she always had - the very same one that had detailed this realisation to Fred and George.

"And does this realisation have something to do with Weasley Wizard Wheezes?" Ferelith questioned, putting down her box of intricate, rare ingredients and turning towards Rhea, arms darting outwards to guide her through the aisles to the main counter. 

"Yes." Rhea felt a small stab of guilt; she was supposed to be helping Mrs Bixby out, but she had accepted the job elsewhere. It didn't help that she was still in her pajamas, just with a jumper pulled over the top. "I.. accepted the job position they offered me."

They had reached outside of the shop again, stood by the other two boxes left on the pavement. Rhea was somewhat taken aback to be suddenly hugged by the woman, squeezed into an embrace. "Oh well done!" Ferelith was smiling from ear to ear, and the guilt subsided. "I'm so glad you took it."

"Are you not disappointed?" Rhea looked somewhat surprised. "I won't be able to help you anymore.. and I'm already paying barely anything for my flat." 

"Don't worry about that you numpty!" Ferelith hugged her again, the metal of her bracelet colliding with her back as a hand slid up and down it, comforting her. "Don't worry about helping me, or the attic."

"Really?" Rhea frowned. "But.."

"No buts, I'm not hearing it!" Ferelith let go again, taking a step back. "Don't worry about it, please. I know you had spent barely any time here before they arrived, but when you started helping them boys out I had never seen you look so happy coming back here. No matter how late at night it was."

She didn't want to say it aloud, but the Bixby woman had often seen Rhea looking rather lost. She hadn't had a secure place to come and go to work, and someone like her needed that. Rhea was flitting through the shops in Diagon Alley, helping out where she could.

With Fred and George, not only was she given that secure workplace, but it was a place she clearly enjoyed and liked being at. Not to mention she was actually friends with the twins, which helped greatly. 

"Now come on." Ferelith stood back. "Help me move these last two boxes inside and then go and get changed and join Fred and George again."

"And you're sure that it's okay.. with everything?" Rhea needed to hear another confirmation, and Ferelith easily gave it to her with a smile on her face.

"Yes, of course it is. Now come on." Mrs Bixby ushered the girl inside, hoping that she would have a smile on her face the next time she saw her.