Chapter Thirteen

Ein Pov:
There was a knock on the door, and a woman with brown hair peeked her head in.

"Hey Zane, have you seen Lucinda recently? I can't find her."

"Yeah, I think she's in the backyard trying to do magic." Zane replied.

"Oh, okay. Thanks!" The woman glanced at me, then abruptly slammed the door. I heard her footsteps receding down the hall.

"Who was that?" I asked.

"Melissa."

"And she was looking for someone named Lucinda?"

"Orange haired girl."

"Oh." I remembered her glaring at me from behind Aphmau. She was scary too.

"Why are all the girls here terrifying?" I asked. "I mean, when they glare at me I get literal chills down my back and I want to run and hide."

Zane snorted, "Be glad you haven't run into Kawaii-Chan."

"Kawaii-Chan? Doesn't sound so scary."

"Don't let her hear you say that. When we brought you in I almost had to hold her back to keep her from leaping at you and clawing your face off."

"Oh. That's... okay. I- alright. It's- it's fine."

Zane chuckled. "Most of the time she's pretty sweet. Just don't make her mad."

"Noted."

There was another knock on the door.

"Come on in." Zane called.

A blond werewolf entered the room, his ears twitching nervously. But he held himself confidently, and strode right over to Zane, completely ignoring me and engulfing him in a hug.

"Gh- Ugh Garroth what are you doing." Zane groaned as the werewolf squeezed him.

"Just checking on my baby brother." Garroth said, letting go.

"Alright, you can see that I'm fine, you may leave now." Zane said, holding the door open for Garroth.

"I wanna hang out!" Garroth whined. "We finally have time to spend together, and you're always with Kawaii-Chan! Don't you want to spend some quality time with your big bro?" Garroth made puppy dog eyes, but Zane just glared at him.

"No. I don't."

"Aww. Oh!" He exclaimed, his eyes finally landing on me. "Um- I, uh... I should probably go-"

"Wait, Garroth-" Zane caught his brothers arm. "I actually have been wanting to spend time with you, I just... it's complicated. It's hard wanting to spend time with you and with my girlfriend, and-"

I gasped dramatically. "You have a girlfriend? I never would have guessed."

Zane glared at me and I gulped. "I mean, uh don't mind me! Just keep doing brotherly... bonding... stuff..." I trailed off.

Garroth stared at me strangely. "Why is he being friendly?" he asked, and I gasped dramatically again.

"How could you!" I pointed accusingly at him. "I am the- the- the friendliest friend you'll ever meet!"

Garroth snorted. "Yeah right."

"Tsk tsk. So rude." I admonished him. "You know, a young man like yourself should learn to respect your elders!"

He raised an eyebrow. "We're the same age."

"Well how was I supposed to know that? I don't remember my entire life story, much less my age! I just assumed I'm at least 105, seeing as how my back hurts and I can't stand up." I was only half joking, I actually couldn't stand up and my back did hurt.

Garroth couldn't hold it in anymore, and finally exploded into laughter. After a moment, Zane and I joined in. I couldn't remember laughing like this since- oh wait. This was my first time laughing that I could remember. (Okay I got sad writing this paragraph since we haven't heard Ein actually laugh a true, non-evil laugh in a LONG time. It's just been menacing cackles and evil laughter. Anyway, back to the story)

I stopped laughing abruptly. This was the first time I could remember laughing. That was weird. Zane looked at me funny, not quite concerned, but definitely not pleased.

"Are you alright?" He asked me.

"I just-" I looked down at my hands folded in my lap. I fiddled my fingers nervously. "It's just- that was the first time I can remember laughing. Ever. And it's weird, you know? I want to have my memories back, just to know where I came from and if I have family, but from the way you guys talk about me it sounds like I was a horrible person. I don't want to remember who I was and turn into that person again."

Zane and Garroth stared at me, and I realized I had just poured my heart out to two strangers.

"S-sorry, I know you guys don't want to listen to me rant, I just-"

"It's okay." Garroth interrupted me. "Despite what you did to us, I think I'm willing to give you a chance to redeem yourself."

I stared at him. He was willing to...give me a chance?

"I am too." Zane agreed. "Even if you were lying about losing your memories, you sounded sincere while pouring your heart out."

I flushed red, embarrassed. "Sorry about that, again."

"There's nothing to be sorry for." Garroth reassured me. "It makes me think I might be able to trust you."

I beamed. They were willing to give me a second chance! "Thank you." I whispered.

Yay! Someone kind of believes that Ein isn't lying!

Please comment!

See ya!

-Mags