Chapter 31. A bubbly witch's friendly spell

'Yes, I am talking to you.' A girl with one too many chains on her frilly gothic dress spoke. Her youthful tender face and the long curly hair put up in two ponytails, normally, should make quite a discrepancy with her eccentric dress style, but for some reason the overall look did not appear to be out of place at all. 

In fact the girl looked just like a beautiful porcelain doll in the Victorian inspired dress, rather than her appearance invoking a macabre feeling to the onlookers caused by the black clothing and the small silver skull accessories placed strategically on the dress. Even the lips tinged by black lipstick and the spider motif earrings that dangled from her earlobes added to the cuteness.

At her words, Zane had started looking around his sides, assuming the young girl was speaking with somebody else. But as he was the only one in front of the pedestrian cross, it was clear he was the one for whom those words were meant for.

'No need to look around. I was talking to you. Thank you for saving my cat.' The girl said, and approached Zane unhurriedly.

Her raised hands which seemed ready to take the pet away and her decisive words, made Zane realize she was the owner of the black fur ball, so he also extended his arms and gave the small kitten to her.

'You're welcome.' Zane replied to her words of gratitude, ignoring the young man part and her casual speaking. Prolonging the conversation and commenting on her way of address, meant he would delay in returning to Aria. Who knew when his petite wife would wake up and search for his presence?

No sooner was the kitten safely in her owner's hands, when the somber man relieved of the burden of having to further search for the owner of the kitten, turned back towards the street to continue doing his task. The timer on the street pole which showed how much time he had to cross the street had already lighted up and started its countdown. Anyway there were no more words to exchange with the girl.

'Wait. I haven't thanked you properly yet for the kind gesture.' The petite girl that seemed even shorter than Aria called out, while she was petting the small kitten in her arms. Unexpectedly,  although she appeared quite caring to her furry friend, her face did not show at all a worried expression, or at least a relieved one. She did not seem to look at all the part of a pet owner frightened by the possible loss of her pet.

'There's no need to.' Zane looked over his shoulder and denied her returning gesture, as his feet was already a few inches away from touching the pedestrian cross walk.

'Do you know... Aria, your wife, she could use a witch's friendly spell.' 

Zane was not one to just listen to anyone's rambles, and certainly not one to listen to an unknown gothic girl's craziness. But seeing how the girl knew his wife's name, it was not safe to just walk away without knowing the other person's intentions. For people of their bearing to be under someone's eyes... it almost never was for a good reason. Especially considering Aria was not one to make connections with other people, even before her accident.

Was someone investigating his wife and wanted to harm her?

It was unlikely, at least as far as the hurting part was concerned. Nobody would come and make their intention's known, and thus alert Zane of their presence before taking action. This would be a grave mistake considering his power and influence. But then what was their purpose?

'Who are you and what do you want?' Zane asked, turning around to face the girl again.

'I am the neighborhood's bubbly witch, or better known as Clarissa, the leader of all the covens. Nice to meet your acquaintance.' The cheeky witch tilted her head to the side, then raised her nose a bit higher in the air, proud of her status.