Chapter 32. Another status upgrade?

Feeling the powerful arms around her that gently carried her up the stairs, Aria was just like a small turtle, who was trying to tuck its head away inside its shell. The problem was that, as opposed to a turtle, she had no shell to hide inside. Her only viable option was to bury her head in his chest, trying to hide the crimson color of her cheeks as best she could. But unfortunately this also posed a problem.

Against the lean fit body, her heartbeat kept increasing in speed exponentially, not only because of the princess hold or the fresh scent of cologne that faintly assaulted her nose, but also due to the ever present warmth, which could be felt unhinged through their thin summer clothes. His powerful drum like heartbeat making the matter worse, as it helped in facilitating the increase of her heart rate, making her heart resonate in response.

It wasn't the first time he carried her, but it was the first time he held her for such a long time. A several seconds walk to the bathroom, could not compare to the distance from the parking lot to the apartment after all.

As to how she ended up in Zane's arms, or why he was carrying her up the stairs... well it all started in the morning.

Attempting to escape Zane's excessive care, as the unbending man had kept carrying her during the whole two previous nights to and from the restroom, she insisted during the doctor's check-up  in the morning to be allowed to go home. 

She was a pregnant woman, she needed to go to the restroom at least two three times a night in normal circumstances. With her body previously nourished with intravenous drips, and the fruits that he kept handing her yesterday, naturally the number of times doubled. And the man had such a light sleep that he woke up absolutely every single time she needed to use the restroom. 

The bed did not creak when she got up, the slippers were left on the floor, as she did not attempt to wear them on her feet, for fear of making noise. Even the blanket was moved away slowly on the side by her, all in an attempt to make as less noise as possible, but the man still woke up. Just how he did it, for the life of her, she could not say.

The first time she woke up, she asked that he only hold her hand, having no other option to refuse his assistance. But because of a slight anemia that overpowered her body as she rose from the bed, her fate was sealed. He wouldn't accept no for an answer from there on out, no matter what. As long as she opened her eyes and rose upward on the bed, in the next second he was there. 

The second time she felt the need to use the restroom, due to still being dazed from sleepiness,  she only barely mechanically risen the up part of her body on the bed, when she was scared silly by his swiftness. She had not made any noise, she had not even removed the blanket, and he was already by her bed, preparing to carry her in his arms. Just how did he hear her, when she did not even feel any movements on the bed that was prepared for him? She did not know.

Only one thing was clear. She needed to return to the apartment. At least there, maids would also be present for a part of the day. As such on Wednesday, the third day, to avoid the ghost like man, and return to the apartment she asked the doctor if it was possible to go home.

The doctor wasn't reluctant to release her from the hospital after two days of medical observations, as her anemia and her pregnancy's disturbance had been more of a psychological problem, rather than a physical one. And for the scald, it was only a matter of having someone change her dressing with new ones each day. So luckily Aria was granted her wish, and Zane obediently completed the paper work for her release from the hospital.

Normally, Aria also had a real aversion to being in the hospital, and being a patient would only make the aversion worse. But strangely, with the somber man by her side, the traumatic effects were lessened a lot, she was even inclined to think she had no more problems with being in the hospital. But as the small woman had no time to think in depth why this happened, this particular fact was placed at the back of her head, left to be forgotten.