Chapter 43. A family time

'Darren!' A stern imposing voice could be heard, just as Darren had barely finished asking his question towards Aria.

Having gained his attention, as the man took his eyes off of his niece, and directed his gaze to Victoria, the one who had called out to him just now, only then did the Blacks family's leader finally continue.

'I have already told you, Aria is fine. What, do you wish for me to bring you all the medical records we have and show them to you?' Victoria continued expressionless, but it was evident in her tone that she wanted the matter to be dropped.

It wasn't a major problem for Aria's amnesia to be known normally, but considering the current circumstances or better said the people they were in the presence of, it was better like this.

She knew for a fact just how large of an influence the Langdon's branch family had on Jillian in the past, and she did not want the situation to be repeated. Using the absent memories, new ones could be "created" by them, ones useful for their own purposes. It was best for the situation to be avoided altogether.

There had only been two months since Aria had regain her consciousness, and Victoria could see how she was right now. Although clearly more lovable, gentler and friendlier than Jillian had ever been, at the same time perhaps also more naïve. The girl needed time to  grow as a person, to recognize the ones who would care for her and the ones who wanted nothing more than to profit from a connection with her and the Blacks. Before such a time, Aria could not show any weakness others might try to take advantage of.

'No, of course not. I only wanted to make sure of her health nothing more. If you are saying she is alright, how could I question it?' Darren smiled seemingly apologetic of doubting Victoria's earlier assurance, and placated the Blacks family leader's anger.

'If I look closely, she really does seem healthier than ever. The pregnancy has made her blossom into a fine beauty.' He immediately covered up the "accidental blunder", the smile on his face increasing, at his accomplished goal. No doubt Victoria was unaware of the contract between the two,  and Zane... he looked quite enamored by his wife right now, thus perhaps unwilling to part with the innocent her.

It was doubtful for the Black's family to try and keep Aria in a naïve state because they coveted her inheritance. Their own fortune had grown much larger in the last few years under Victoria's leadership and it had continued under Zane, for one reason. And for the second... Zane wouldn't have made the contract in which he would return old master Langdon's inheritance to the last penny to Jillian, if he really wished to profit from the latter's fortune.

Not to mention, his attitude towards Jillian from the present... was miles apart from the one he showed to Jillian of the past.

Although Darren felt satisfied that the matter of Aria's health had been thoroughly confirmed by the two, their behavior towards Jillian still did not sit well with him at all. They were being too careful in guarding her... it seemed that the matter of how he would proceed with the divorce and subsequent removal of Jillian from their life had to be handled with the utmost care. One single wrong move and everything could turn back to bite them.

He could only sigh internally, while still keeping up a mild apologetic smile on the outside. There was nothing he could do than move forward, after all his daughter's happiness was the most important, he convinced himself.

Even by this point, Darren was unwilling to admit the reality. William Monroe and everyone that had a connection to him, in the "real" heir's mind were evidently inferior to him and should be removed from any position that were even slightly higher than Darren's, as they were an evidence of his well hidden fraud. Jillian even more so should not have the life his daughter should have.