Chapter 37. The perfect candidate for Aria Langdon

(A/N) Copyright © TURTUREL, 2021.

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval systems, without permission in writing from me, the only legal owner of this book.

Please keep in mind, that "The convenient marriage" is only lawfully published on Wattpad. If you are reading this book on any other site it is illegally published on that particular site.

Please also note that I will take legal actions against any infringement of my copyrights.

Fifteen years in the past

It was a clear beautiful and quiet spring day, when out of the blue the sternest man of the Langdon clan, the leader of the main family, released a peculiar request... to say the least.

The old master invited the families that made up the branches of the Langdon clan to a party held at the mansion of the main family. One would think that generally it was not that strange to receive an invitation to a family gathering from the leader's clan, but they would be absolutely wrong.

Since the daughter of the old master had disappeared one day ten years earlier, the old master had buried himself in his businesses, not wanting to participate in absolutely anything even remotely festive like. He had occupied himself with as much work as possible, that one would not be able to see him, unless it was work related.

For ten years, most of his closer related relatives, or more distant related alike, could count using the fingers on only one hand the number of times they had met the old master, with some not encountering him at all during this time.

So not only to receive an invitation to visit the main mansion, but to also participate to a party... they could only wonder what had brought about such a decision from the man.

They could only speculate the reason, as the invitation had not specified it particularly, making the matter even stranger. Did it have something to do with Eliza Langdon, the missing daughter? Had she returned?

The apple of the eyes of the old master, and the only heiress of the main line had vanished into thin air without anyone knowing the smallest of news of her disappearance. The only one who certainly knew the exact reason was the old master who seemed even sterner without his daughter as each day passed. But of course no one could ask him what exactly happened. 

They valued too much the connection to the main house, to anger the old master. Though of course rumors between them, far from the man's ears and eyes, still existed. To leave like she had, it was surely because of an argument with her father.

Otherwise, the most beloved daughter of the somber man wouldn't have been allowed to be away from the mansion for ten years already, without as much as a word or news about her. 

As such, to host a party after all that time and under such circumstances made everyone curious as to what was the motive behind it. And being asked expressly for the presence of their daughters to accompany them, only served to intensify their bewilderment further.

The closest related to the main family, Darren Langdon, also participated in the said party accompanied by his wife and daughter, a young nine year old Aileen.

And not only took part in the gathering, but also greatly profited from the reason the party was held, as the young Aileen unexpectedly became the young heiress presumptive of the old master. 

Perhaps losing hope of having his daughter back, the man had decided to adopt one of the daughters of his relatives to inherit the main family's fortune as his granddaughter. Weirdly enough, the only condition the old master imposed for them was to rename the girl as Aria Langdon.