ELEVEN

«---CHAPTER ELEVEN---»
PRECIOUS MEMORIES

MAY TRIED EVERYTHING IN HER POWER TO BREAK HERSELF FREE from her restraints

MAY TRIED EVERYTHING IN HER POWER TO BREAK HERSELF FREE from her restraints. The skin on her wrists raw from the rubbing of the course rope on her soft skin.

They were to be back any minute now that her wounds had closed and had scabbed over. She hated her fast healing. She hated that she was able to be their little experiment because of what she was able to do.

They couldn't explain it. They didn't understand what she was or how fast her abilities reached but they knew that they made something special. And though it scared them, it did not deter them from making her theirs.

May jumped to the sound of a door opening, she sank into her chair in fear. She knew what was coming.

"How are we feeling?" A male voice asked.

May started panting in fear. "I, uh, I can't see." She whimpered.

All she saw was light, an eye-burning bright light that shined so close to her eyes she feared that it would blind her.

"That, my little warrior. Is a UV spotlight shined to keep you from seeing something you shouldn't." He chuckled darkly.

Her eyes were numb, she couldn't if her eyes were closed or not. The light left her embolized. "I can't see." She cried again, her voice young, frail, and scared.

She was ignored. "We'll start with something different this time. Won't that be fun?" He asked. The man's voice held no emotion, no sign of remorse as the little girl in front of him cried tears that light dried from her cheeks.

"How about... zeridium?"

May cried. "NO! No, please! No." She felt his gloved hand wipe her skin with a disinfectant wipe the inner part of her elbow. He ignored her begging and counted down. "Momma! Please! They're hurting me! Momma please!"

"Three, two...." And the needle pierced her skin. "One." The deep blue liquid was injected into her bloodstream and the burning, gut-wrenching pain began. It started in her arm, traveled to her chest before her whole body seized in pain and she screamed.

May flinched awake, choking on the air in her throat. She threw the hot bedsheet off of her sweat-covered legs sat up straight, searching the room in fear.

The room was dark and empty. There was no chair, tears, and when she looked down at her arms she saw a rune, a healing rune. That was all.

May whimpered out a sigh, curling into a ball, and brushed her hair out of her face with her shaking hands. "What the hell, Mayla?" She whispered to herself.

Never in her life has she ever felt that type of fear. That pain, begging for it to stop. She has never experienced anything like it, but God did it feel familiar. Terrifyingly familiar. Like she was looking into the memories of another.

She huffed out a deep breath and dropped back on her pillow. Hoping to get a few more hours of sleep but when she closed her eyes all she saw was white. All she could think of was that painful and lonely feeling.

May shivered at the thought. "Not happening." She muttered. She was not experiencing that again.

She got out of bed and looked down at the clock on her bedside. 2:33 am. Not a single soul was awake at this hour. Not in the Institute at least.

She wrapped her arms around herself and took a deep, slow breath, closing her eyes to force some kind of calm over herself. Never had she felt so alone before. So weak.