TWENTY-ONE

«———CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE———»
SIMON LEWIS

MAY SAT ON THE DESK AND WATCHED ALEC as he obsessively stared at the monitor in front of him

MAY SAT ON THE DESK AND WATCHED ALEC as he obsessively stared at the monitor in front of him. She hopped off the desk she was sitting on, walked over to him and placed a hand on his arm. "You know, a demon won't just waltz through that door, right? You staring at the screen will not change that either way."

Alec looked down at her. "I know." He muttered quietly. She let out a puff of air in exhaustion.

"Carry on." She motioned before snickering and walking back to her spot on the desk, now watching Red and Blondie stare at each other all lovey-dovey.

They stood a couple of inches away from each other, the mortal cup between them as Jace explained the 'Shadowhunter rules' to Clary. May was so close to making some fake gagging sounds just to make them stop.

"And what's the second rule?" Clary asked.

Izzy pulled out her whip and flung it, wrapping it around the Cup. She pulled it back, snatching it from Clary's hands so she could get a better look at it. She walked down the stairs. "There's nothing a Shadowhunter can't do in heels."

May pointed at Izzy. "Oh, that's a good one." She agreed, making Clary send her a look over her shoulders.

Jace walked over to the monitor. "Alec, what are you doing?"

"You can stare at this monitor all you want, they need angel blood to get past the wards. You know that. No Downworlder can come into the Institute." Jace explained, hoping to make the guy feel better.

"Not without an invite from a Shadowhunter," Izzy added. Not noticing Clary placing the Cup back into the tarot card where it was hidden in plain sight.

"Last I checked, Valentine is a Shadowhunter. The Cup is not safe here. We have to give it back to the Clave." Alec explained, his arms crossed over his chest.

"Give it back to the Clave? No. Not after everything we went through to get it," Clary said to Alec.

"My brother is right. The Cup is extremely important." Izzy agreed. Her voice sounding serious, like the new her was speaking for her. May raised a brow, she didn't know if she liked how it sounded.

"Are you agreeing with me?" Alec asked surprisingly.

"I'm full of surprises." She shrugged.

May did agree with the Lightwoods. The Cup was safest away from Clary, from anyone who didn't see the importance of it. "Clary, they're right, the Clave should have the Cup. It's too important to just have on you." She hopped off the table and walked over to the younger Redhead.

"This Cup is the one chance I have at getting my mom back." Clary sighed, holding up the card.

"Trust me, Clary, I want Jocelyn back just as much as you do, but we'll have nothing to save her with if the Cup gets into the wrong hands." She put a hand on Clary's shoulder. "It's the safest thing to do."